5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

center console rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 11:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

Default center console rattling noise

hi all
95 gt manual
car had been sitting outside in the northeast for like >4 years with the engine in various stages of being taken apart and put back together. just the top of engine down to camshaft. i didnt take the engine out of the car or disconnect it from the trans. i did though have the headers off.
i put it all back together and it started right up. there was an issue with a loose rocker, and i took care of it.
it started to run hot while it was idling. i shut it down and stopped doing anything with it.

i didnt drive it at all since then 5 months or so? not sure how long its been.(didnt drive it after putting it back together either). i dont recall if there was or wasnt any rattling at that time or not, there may have been.

now im back working with it. the running hot seems to have been solved by me bleeding the air out of the coolant system. idles toward the low end of the temp range.
but i hear a pretty loud rattle that seems to be coming from the area of the stick shift/radio area. The car runs off road exhaust and is pretty loud, so I cant really pinpoint the location of the rattle. When I hold the stick shift, I don’t feel any rattle but I definitely still hear it, so I don’t think it’s a loose stick or something simple like that.

Probably unrelated, but when the car is running, every few seconds, a small piece of leaf blows out the passenger side exhaust. i didn’t run the car too long to get any more details on this, but that’s weird, right? The exhaust wasn’t lying on the ground to allow squirrels or some other animal in there to make a nest or anything. And the intake wasn’t left open either.
Where should I start trying to figure this rattle thing out?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/input

Last edited by 9550; 08-25-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

hey all, so i realized what the rattling noise was, at least im pretty sure. its coming from the engine, the entire engine i mean, shaking. in the video in this other thread you can see what i mean. although, at the time when i noticed the rattling, the car was idling fine, not all crappy like it is now in the video.
i dont know if this means the engine supports are shot or what.
i can worry about it when i get the idle straightened out i suppose...