5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Foxbody Front End trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 10:07 PM
Coleeakle

Default Foxbody Front End trouble

Hello, I have a 91 mustang gt 5 speed. Recently purchased this car for a daily driver. There was obvious front end issues so I dug right in. Replaced the power steering rack and tie rods (which the old were both destroyed, probably not safe to drive) and now the car drives worse than before. I having bad vibration, the car won’t drive straight, it’ll pull either left or right hard, it’s a job trying to keep the car in the lines. Almost hops at full turn extension? Have to rev the car up decently high to get the car going from a dead stop.

I did some reading but I’m not really sure what it could be. Rag joint, ball joint, struts and shocks? I’m not sure. Any opinions would be appreciated, thank you!
Old 05-09-2021, 12:10 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coleeakle
Hello, I have a 91 mustang gt 5 speed. Recently purchased this car for a daily driver. There was obvious front end issues so I dug right in. Replaced the power steering rack and tie rods (which the old were both destroyed, probably not safe to drive) and now the car drives worse than before. I having bad vibration, the car won’t drive straight, it’ll pull either left or right hard, it’s a job trying to keep the car in the lines. Almost hops at full turn extension? Have to rev the car up decently high to get the car going from a dead stop.

I did some reading but I’m not really sure what it could be. Rag joint, ball joint, struts and shocks? I’m not sure. Any opinions would be appreciated, thank you!
BASICS! The TIRES determine whether the vehicle tracks straight or ****-eyed! If they are pointed outward (as viewed from above, "TOE-OUT") the vehicle will be impossible to guide in a straight line, as one tire then the other pulls the vehicle to one side, as traction varies. TOE is one of the THREE alignment values, the others being CASTER and CAMBER.

CASTER holds the steering wheel in position as the vehicle is moving forward. CAMBER simply places the tread portion of the tire flat on the pavement.

Rear wheel drive vehicles have a slight amount of TOE-IN on the front wheels. This makes the car go straight. It is set by adjustments on the tie-rod ends, something not done on your car.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:59 AM
Coleeakle

Originally Posted by imp
BASICS! The TIRES determine whether the vehicle tracks straight or ****-eyed! If they are pointed outward (as viewed from above, "TOE-OUT") the vehicle will be impossible to guide in a straight line, as one tire then the other pulls the vehicle to one side, as traction varies. TOE is one of the THREE alignment values, the others being CASTER and CAMBER.

CASTER holds the steering wheel in position as the vehicle is moving forward. CAMBER simply places the tread portion of the tire flat on the pavement.

Rear wheel drive vehicles have a slight amount of TOE-IN on the front wheels. This makes the car go straight. It is set by adjustments on the tie-rod ends, something not done on your car.

Okay thank you, so it sounds like an alignment will solve my problems?