5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

equal shorty headers install

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 01:16 AM
87GTHO
2nd Gear Member

Default equal shorty headers install

In the bbk instructions it suggests that you remove the spark plugs, wires air box and a few other odd things to make the installation easier, it also says to jack up the passenger side motor to give you some clearence.
I have a stock engine bay, and was wondering if this is all mandatory ,
Any trick or tips on making this a little simpler?
thanks for the help
Old 11-10-2005, 01:32 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: equal shorty headers install

well... i took the plugs and wires outta the way to make it easier, mainly because i didn't want to break the plugs, which WILL happen if u don't take them out lol... you don't need to take the whole airbox out, just the portion connected to the air inlet hose to the intake... i didn't jack up the passenger side of the motor, but that does sound like a damn good idea. i would try to get the headers in/out first tho, before jacking the motor up. i had to jack my whole front end up anyways, because i've got lowering springs. just go at it, and adjust as necessary. headers are pretty easy.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:09 AM
Xasthur
2nd Gear Member

I installed shorty equal lengths without jacking up my engine and they were a bitch. I got my driver side header in fairly easy while removing all the plugs and such. The passenger side was a bitch. I was 99% sure there was no way to get it in without lifting the engine. Two hours later I gave up and told my friend who was helping me to get it in. He pushed against the throttle body and with the other hand he pushed the header down. He busted his hand up and also my valve covers but finally got it to slip in there. I got everything hooked up and running well. If I were to do it again I would definitely jack up the motor. Removing the plugs is also a good idea.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:18 AM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Toronto Maple Leafs SUCk...... GO Oiler!! hahah jk, but really T.O is going to choke again this year we need a Western team to take the cup for a change
Old 11-10-2005, 12:14 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Remove whatever you can if you think you are going to have a hard time installing them. The more clearance the better.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:43 PM
blkgt50
2nd Gear Member

I installed some BBK's yestereday. I removed the intake tube, wires and the hoses that come from the cats and goes to the air pump and unbolted the mufflers from the h-pipe and move the h-pipe back a little. I didn't have to jack up the motor or anything like that it took me about an hour or so do take off my old headers and install the new ones. I really don't even know why so many people have problems with the passanger side of the motor. I guess it's easier when you have a lift that you can use to get under the car and move stuff.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:59 PM
4trax
1st Gear Member

I installed same ones and the only reason you have jack anything up is your motor mounts are collapsed or are collapsing. My passenger side was not collapsed that bad but I replaced anyway and driver side was collapsed all the way so I replaced that side also headers went in very very easy with good motor mounts. No need to jack anything up at all. Mounts on these cars are know for collapsed motor mounts.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 87GTHO

In the bbk instructions it suggests that you remove the spark plugs, wires air box and a few other odd things to make the installation easier, it also says to jack up the passenger side motor to give you some clearence.
I have a stock engine bay, and was wondering if this is all mandatory ,
Any trick or tips on making this a little simpler?
thanks for the help

Take it or leave it for what it's worth. Keep in mind you're going to need to get a torque wrench down there so if you don't remove some of that stuff you may find you don't have enough room to get things tightned down properly.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:31 PM
87GTHO
2nd Gear Member

Hey , well i dont plan on doing it today , but i wanted to take out the airbox and look at what im going to be dealing with, so i took it off, soaked the header bolts in some wd40(dont plan on driving it anymore this season) and found out id have to remove the air-injection routing tubes, no big deal ,
and while i was inspecting my TB I decided to measure it, grabed a ruler, and it measures 65mm at the outer lip! I kno the stock is 60 (58 on 86stangs) and i planed on buying a 65 this winter sometime, my question is , where do they measure the TD to classify the size of it? i was measuring from the inside of the outer most ring.
Then i thought i would take a stab at my header bolts and see how stubborn they would be, and to my surprise they were fine, i only let them soak for 5 mins or soo and they came loose with little effort.
Thanks for your help , hopfully ill get some more time and better weather to do them this weekend.