5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Converting to Carb, what Intake Carb & Ignitior/Dist setup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 10:56 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Default Converting to Carb, what Intake Carb & Ignitior/Dist setup?

Hello all

Alright, starting to think about putting that 5.0 into my stang... I've decided Carb'd is what i'm going to do... Only one problem.

What intake manifold and carb should I get ? I want this to be a daily driver with maybe 1 time a month strip usage, nothing major at all (I live about 5 miles from a IHRA [NHRA next year] sanctioned track)... The car's going to be auto, so i'm thinking i shouldnt mess with the cam/heads all that much anyway.

What ignition setup should I get? What distributor? I wish they just made 'kits' to make this all easier, haha...

Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance

-- O. Jeremy Miles
FF/Medic
Richmond, Virginia
Old 11-16-2005, 07:21 AM
sgt_pepper17
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Converting to Carb, what Intake Carb & Ignitior/Dist setup?

Well if you want a daily driver I'ld go for a low-rise duel plenum design. Weiand stealths are great and so are Edelbrock Performer 289's. I'ld get one of those two. Also, Holley's make great carbs... Don't buy Edelbrock. Not tuneable and poor performance. I'ld watch your fuel pressure as well, the stock pump is way too much. As for the distributor, I'm not sure what you can do with the stock one. I think they are set up perfectly for MSD but I'm not sure. If so, and money's not an issue, then I'ld go for that. I put a points distributor with a pertronics ignitor on it to eliminate the points and I'm more than happy with it's performance. It's a very durable system and a very simple system as well... Just requires 12 ignition volts and a ground, both are shared with the coil. Looks good too. Also as far as a cam is concerned.... If you don't want to get a stall converter, get a cam with @.050 has about a 204-218 intake duration a 204-220 exhaust duration and under .488 lift on both sides. Call the Comp Cam help line if you want to know what they suggest... But that should give you a good bottom to mid range cam....

Erik
Old 11-19-2005, 08:34 PM
RacerX
2nd Gear Member

what year is your car? If it has a roller motor,then you need a distributor with a steel gear for the roller cam. Advance auto parts#302831(cardone) and a cap adaptor # FR110,also cap/rotor for non EEC. I agree with the Stealth intake!! As for the carb. go with the 600 or the 650 holley. Can use the factory style coil with the male terminal. If you decide on a motor that had EFI , remove the timing cover and drill out and file the fuel pump factory block off. Don't worry,the aluminum is very soft. Also there is a fuel pump ecentric on the camshaft gear,that operates the pump. Install the pump and a filter before the carb. Now if your using a earlier motor that has the mechanical pump already,don't need to modified the timing cover. Good luck!! any ????? just e-mail me. Just did this on my Bros. 82 Gt . I gave him my old 86 5.0L motor,165 AFRs,Comp Cam,T-5,and the 8.8. Kept us posted!!
Old 11-19-2005, 08:38 PM
RacerX
2nd Gear Member

I have a B303 cam if your interested? And a 600 holley off my Bros. 82. Also got a 650 or 750 dual feed holley. Let me know.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:40 PM
RacerX
2nd Gear Member

Be carful with the 86 5.0L motor,has flat top pistons will not take a big cam(NO Valve Reliefs on Pistons)!!
Old 11-20-2005, 12:32 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Use 600 Holley, thats what Ford used on last of the Carbed 5.0's
You could use an adjustable fuel regulator with a stock pump as long as you can keep it between 4-7 psi on the gas.
I would use an MSD6 system as they work good and parts are widely sold for them.......