5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

heater issues...

Old 12-01-2005, 03:18 AM
JoHnNy sAvAgE
2nd Gear Member

Default heater issues...

Was up every one, it's been a while since I posted anything in here.... any how Ever since I got my car the heater never really worked to well. It comes on and everything, but it does not blow hot. When set to the hottest it blows kinda warm, but higher I set it the colder it gets. Any Ideas?? All the hoses are hooked up I've checked that already. thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 AM
StrokemyNotch
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: heater issues...

my heater core went out on my 91 LX, i smelled antifreeze when i turned the heat on and i noticed a very small amount of antifreeze under the passenger side dash. needless to say i had to bypass my heater core before it got a bigger leak and theres no way i m driving that car in the cold

i guess check for any signs of antifreeze inside the car. or maybe its possible the heater core has a restriction in it.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:16 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i would replace the t-stat......last guy might have done a 160* and it makes it run like it doesn't have one. never warms up enough, and will run too phat too.

if you replace it, make sure the one you get is balanced, and has the little check ball in it. it will be like $10 instead of $3 like all the others. if you get a regular one, it will overheat at idle.

bad heater core will leak, and since when you turn the blower up higher, it gets cooler, sounds like it's just not getting hot enuff.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:35 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

And to replace the heater core you need the remove the dash [:@] It sucks.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:31 PM
JoHnNy sAvAgE
2nd Gear Member

yea it's not the heater core cus there is no anti freeze in the car. Hey how warm does you guys car get? On the temp gauge what letter does it go up to. Mine always stays at the bottom of the A. Is that normal or too cold. I also have a ford racing aluminum radiator, but honestly it ran at the same temp as the stock one did.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:45 PM
JoHnNy sAvAgE
2nd Gear Member

any one?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:55 PM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

I bet someone took the t-stat out all together. That's why it won't warm up. Or, it's stuck open which is way much more yonder better than it sticking shut.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:58 PM
JoHnNy sAvAgE
2nd Gear Member

what letter on the gauge does your car run on once warmed up?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:03 AM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

it stays one line below half way and I have an electric fan that run constantly. When it's cold out the temp fluctuates a lot, but that's because the thermostat is trying to keep up with the fan making things so cool.

Another reason why your heat may be a little weak could be low cooant, but my money's on the t-stat. Simple cheap fix. If you are anywhere in the southern areas it's not at all uncommon for people to just take them out when they go bad. When I got my car it didn't have one in it.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:12 AM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

Im going through the samething on my car. I have a new thermostat and water pump. The heater core is only about 1 1/2 years old.

I think it might be a clogged heater core. If/when I figure it out I will let you know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: heater issues...