5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

does my stang have a lim slip diff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 01:54 AM
95_302_StangMan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: does my stang have a lim slip diff?

ORIGINAL: Quik

60$ thats crazy. i think from ford its like 45 bucks
Summit sells a ford racing kit for $40.88, bought one yesterday
Old 12-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Corrected....there is a difference between a Posi and a limited slip diff

alot of Posi diffs have springs that help clamp the plates together to assist in having both axles spin as one at the same time.
also GM also uses limited slip diffs. you can go up to a fbucket and see if it has a limited slip or a Posi. the optional rear for the SS/Ws6 are the aubin posi

limited slip diffs have clutches/plates to make sure both wheels spin

a posi is strong then a LSD since clutches wear out before springs do

you can drive on the street with a locker or spool but just have to be careful cause the inside wheel will spin at the same speed as the outer wheel which will result in a barking sound

wheel hop is when the rear axle is fighting itself and allowing the wheels to bounce up and down instead of just rolling in the direction it needs to. also known as axle bind... wheel hop is commonly found on worn out suspensions
ORIGINAL: Cantcatchme

There is no difference between posi (GM), Traction lock (ford) except the companies that make them. -limited slip (generic name for any brand of differential that spins both tires but is not a spool(there is NO SLIP rather than limited slip- for drag racing only don't get one for the street u won't be able to go around corners without getting wheel hop)) YES your '87 5.0L has a limited slip differential if it has never been touched. that doesn't mean its not tired though. the clutches wear out- have it rebuilt asap and u will lay double black strips all over the neighborhood.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:00 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

i have an 86, i think mine is worn out cause i either spin both or 1.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:27 PM
frop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quik

Corrected....there is a difference between a Posi and a limited slip diff

alot of Posi diffs have springs that help clamp the plates together to assist in having both axles spin as one at the same time.
also GM also uses limited slip diffs. you can go up to a fbucket and see if it has a limited slip or a Posi. the optional rear for the SS/Ws6 are the aubin posi

limited slip diffs have clutches/plates to make sure both wheels spin

a posi is strong then a LSD since clutches wear out before springs do

you can drive on the street with a locker or spool but just have to be careful cause the inside wheel will spin at the same speed as the outer wheel which will result in a barking sound

wheel hop is when the rear axle is fighting itself and allowing the wheels to bounce up and down instead of just rolling in the direction it needs to. also known as axle bind... wheel hop is commonly found on worn out suspensions
But when Auburns wear out the clutches, they tend to take out the case with them