5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starter Problem.....help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Zachv1

Default Starter Problem.....help!

I own a 94 GT and the other day I tried to start my car, but it didnt start. You can here the starter clicking but the motor doesnt turn over. I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge the night before it happened and installed it on the steering column. I started my car and drove it three or four times after the gauge installation until it randomly wouldn't start in the autozone parking lot, but I don't think this has anything to do with it not starting, but I thought that I could have maybe loosend an ignition wire while messing around the steering column, but then I would think the starter would do nothing. I had a new high torgue starter laying around that I had been meaning to put on my car so I put that on to see what would happen. This did not solve my problem, rather than clicking like the stock starter did, you could hear the new starter just spinning when you turned the key. I pulled the new started off and compared it to the old and they looked identical even the nose lengths. I then tried replacing the solenoid on the old starter, but that didnt do the trick either. The old started just clicked one time each time you would turn the key, as if it were locked in the flywheel. I also checked the relay and it was fine. The flywheel has all its teeth on it, and the motor isnt locked. I have no idea what the problem could be, can someone please help me out. Thanks,

Zach