5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine bogging down when gas t

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 11:03 AM
nmand

Default engine bogging down when gas t

I'd check the timing first though. Set it correctly and then rev it up and see if the timing advances.</P>

</P>
Old 06-09-2003, 04:08 PM
WhiteHawk
2nd Gear Member

WOW, THAT was one of the main reasons for me signing on to this place.....(isn't it ironic....don'tcha think?) .</P>

When my stang wakes up on the wrong side of the parking space, that's exactly what happens to it. -- bogs down, backfires (but only on somedays, probably humid days). -- Someone told me to check the timing and the fuel pump and filter. That'll be my next move. </P>

Thanks folks!</P>

</P>

</P>
Old 06-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Snake
1st Gear Member

Does it die onyou? And then you have trouble restarting it? Or does it run pretty steady and just seem like it should be faster? </P>

When you said humid, it caught my attention. My 87 used to do similar things in humid weather, it got to the point where you couldnt' trust the car at all. My problem was the ignition module on the base of the distributor. I took the cover off that part, and you could see a fracture in the chip or whatever. When it was humid, water would get in there and screw it up,really odd problem.</P><edited><editID>Snake</editID><editDate>37782.6529861111</editDate></edited>
Old 06-10-2003, 06:06 PM
WhiteHawk
2nd Gear Member

It doesn't really die on me....just kinda have to put my foot lightly on the accelerator, sometimes I get pissed and just floor it...it boggs down and I just leave it floored (cause I'm so ticked off) and then KABOOM, it seems to catch, has an influx of power and then WATCHOUT cause a major burnout is about to happen (ps - folks don't try that at home....or at least in front of a cop....trust me on that one, I swear the tires even chirped on 4th at about 103-105 mph...you know...like 2 seconds before red and blue lights appeared on my rearview mirror--- luckily the officer bought my story, this of course AFTER he did the same thing himself, and I got only a speeding ticket and not wreckless driving for which I could have gotten arrested...but didn't...whew...) -- ANYWAY.....after that night I though I had shaken out some sort of clog, cause it didn't happen for weeks after that....but it's now back.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Snake
1st Gear Member

Similar to what my 87 was doing. In fact my problem seemed a bit worse though, a lot of tiems when it would bog like that I would have to jam on it to keep it going, same thing would happen, it would choke a bit, cough and complain, then bam. </P>

What year is that car btw? I'm probably wrong on this one but I thought there was a recall at some point on those ignition modules that I'm talking about. I know when I bought a new one and replaced it, that no longer happened. It took my dad and I a good year at least to finally figure that out though. I seem to remember it being about 80 bucks, but definitely try to find out more about it, because that sounds like it could be one of many things.</P>
Old 06-11-2003, 09:48 AM
nmand

There was a recall on the ignition module. I got a letter saying that Ford would replace it around a year ago.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:17 PM
WhiteHawk
2nd Gear Member

Yep, FORD sent me a letter regarding the recall. I went, they changed it. -- That was back in 98 (I think) .... The problem only started about 8 months ago. I don't really use the car much, except maybe on the weekends....maybe. --- I don't really have a garage to work in (or a drivewayfor that matter)(it sucks). </P>

My girlfriend says if I start working on the car instead of spending time with her, she's going to leave me........I'm sure gonna miss her...</P>
Old 06-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Snake
1st Gear Member

Making you choose? Ouch! </P>
Old 06-12-2003, 10:52 AM
WhiteHawk
2nd Gear Member

Like I said.......I'm gonna miss her (I am NOT kidding either...she gives me one more flap of the gums about my real love and she is so outta there, I already told her that) (wow, I just felt a surge of testoterone.....arrrgh arrrgh) .. </P>

Today I close on a property I own and have already set aside 5k for my baby (no, not the human--I meant the Mustang) and so that engine bogging is gonna go away one way or another.</P>
Old 06-12-2003, 11:56 AM
DrededSS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk

Yep, FORD sent me a letter regarding the recall. I went, they changed it. -- That was back in 98 (I think) .... The problem only started about 8 months ago. I don't really use the car much, except maybe on the weekends....maybe. --- I don't really have a garage to work in (or a drivewayfor that matter)(it sucks). </P>

My girlfriend says if I start working on the car instead of spending time with her, she's going to leave me........I'm sure gonna miss her...</P>

</P>

I would have left right there. My "first love" had quite a hold on me, so that I blew all of my money on her as I watched my '70 skylark fall apart. After that I said NO MORE. I bought my SS, and every girl afterwards got this soon after getting semi-serious: I'm a gearhead, always will be, and I'll spend my money on my truck until you show that you'll be around just as long and be just as reliable. I dropped one girl for bitching about it, the other 3 were dumped for reasons totally unrelated. My current one (redhead..mmmmm) doesn't have a problem with it at all. The only rule she has is that I can't get on it with her in the truck.</P>

Dred</P>

Quick Reply: engine bogging down when gas t