5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Is it my ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:58 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: Is it my ignition switch?

ORIGINAL: 72MACH1_92LX50

ORIGINAL: raven_ghostwolf

Sounds to me like the starter relay attached to the lower right hand side of the column may be separating they are made from plastic and pot metal and the little tabs over time give out and they separate. I don’t have a pict of one but here is a picture of a bare column and you can see where your key cylinder goes and next to it where the relay attaches. Pull the trim and checking it is easy enough.

The starter relay is another name for the Starter switch...That was the first thing I replaced and I still have the same problem? I need another solution please...
if you have checked allllllll of that stuff i bet your grounding out.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:29 AM
redf89notch

just went thru the same thing last night in this nice rain we are having in chicago.

when you turn the key do you hear the starter solinoid in the driver fender click or a buzzin like sound?
if not take a wrench and tap teh solinoid and see if you can start it then.

also make susre the solinoid is grounded good too

Old 08-24-2007, 05:43 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Sorry if I missed it, is it an auto or manual? Take a test light and check the small wire on the starter soleniod. Unplug the wire, have someone crank the engine, see if the wire gets power. If it does not, the problem is either in the ignition switch, clutch safety switch or the nuetral safety switch. If there is power, then something else is the issue. Check it out and get back to us.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:52 AM
72MACH1_92LX50

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

Sorry if I missed it, is it an auto or manual? Take a test light and check the small wire on the starter soleniod. Unplug the wire, have someone crank the engine, see if the wire gets power. If it does not, the problem is either in the ignition switch, clutch safety switch or the nuetral safety switch. If there is power, then something else is the issue. Check it out and get back to us.
I have an automatic. I tested the small wire goingto the solenoid and it does NOT get powerONLY when the problem occurs. I all ready changed the ignition switch! I have noticed that the the small wire has been splicedin a few spots and patched together with another short piece of wire... I think I need to run a completely new wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid.

What do you think PRO50SC ???

Old 08-25-2007, 09:35 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I have an automatic. I tested the small wire goingto the solenoid and it does NOT get powerONLY when the problem occurs. I all ready changed the ignition switch! I have noticed that the the small wire has been splicedin a few spots and patched together with another short piece of wire... I think I need to run a completely new wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid.

I think you need to find out why that trigger wire is supplying power intermittantly. Auto huh, have you tried starting it in nuetral to see if that helps? Or wiggling the shifter while in the crank position. Which ignition switch have you changed, the mechanical or the electrical one.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:50 PM
72MACH1_92LX50

I think you need to find out why that trigger wire is supplying power intermittantly. Auto huh, have you tried starting it in nuetral to see if that helps? Or wiggling the shifter while in the crank position. Which ignition switch have you changed, the mechanical or the electrical one.
I changed the starter switch pictured below. It's bolted to the steering column with break off bolts... I have not triedstarting in nuetral or wiggling the shifter while cranking. Next time itoccures I will try both.

I wish I knewwhymy trigger wire is supplying power intermittantly to the solenoid ???

Old 05-26-2008, 06:45 PM
72MACH1_92LX50

Thanks PRO50SC!!!
The wires coming from my Park/Neutral Switch were touching the driver’s side exhaust pipe! The heat melted the plastic protection cover and damaged the wires... So when ever I drove for a while the damaged wires heated up and gave the false signal that the AOD was NOT in Park or Neutral.