5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

97 GT???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 AM
jhall01
2nd Gear Member

Default 97 GT???

i guy i know is selling a 97 GT with 100k on it. he says it has a stage 2 chip, body kit. he hit a deer with the car a month ago and has the new hood put on but not painted. he also has the new headlight assembly but its not put on. its a 5speed, its green. its got a locking differential and i think thats it. he is asking 3gs for the car. do ya'll think i should buy it and fix it up and possibly sell it when its dun. or put the money into my 5.0. i was wondering if i could make my money back if i bought the car and painted the hood if i could make some profit on it.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:13 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 97 GT???

Did you ask him if it is a salvage title. With the minimal damaging you are describing and he already has the parts to fix it, I would be leary and ask lots of questions. If all it needed is a hood and headlights and he already has these parts why would he let it go for 3K. Have you seen the car? I would look the car over good, make sure everything works and take a GOOD look underneath and see what, if any, damage is there.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:24 AM
jhall01
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

Did you ask him if it is a salvage title. With the minimal damaging you are describing and he already has the parts to fix it, I would be leary and ask lots of questions. If all it needed is a hood and headlights and he already has these parts why would he let it go for 3K. Have you seen the car? I would look the car over good, make sure everything works and take a GOOD look underneath and see what, if any, damage is there.
i know the guy real well. he is one of those people that money dont mean nothing to him. it was his daughters first car and hes done bought her another car. he just wants to get rid of it. he is gonna drive it to my house here in the next day or two. ill drive it hard when he brings it over and look it over good. i know he wouldnt sell me a POS. he has a lot of money. he is in the oil business and has lots of money. he recently turned down a million dollar contract because he was tire of the guys s***. he wouldnt be selling it to nebody but me that cheap.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

According to kbb.com (kelley blue book) A good condition 97 GT with 100,000 and only standard equipment, i did not mark any options. The private party value is around $4700. Go to their web site and list all options the car has, and you can get an even better idea what the car is worth. If it is in good shape, i would ****** it up and i dont even care for the body style. But i do alot of buying and selling and just about everything i have is for sale.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:03 PM
jhall01
2nd Gear Member

yea im not to fond of the body style either but hes only wanting 3gs for it so i said what the hell why not. but yea ill get on there n check out the value of the car with all the options. the only thing is if i get i think my fianse is gonna want it lol. so i may not get to sell it. lol
Old 08-23-2007, 01:17 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

sounds like there is more to it than meets the eye. i am saying he has messed up more than what there telling. take a good look at the frame of the car.

take a tape measure with you.

measure the from the bottom of the fender to the ground on both sides of the front end i bet you come up with different numbers
Old 08-23-2007, 01:30 PM
jhall01
2nd Gear Member

ill check it all out when he drives the car over to the house. its just ive never known this man to lie. he is one of the most honest people of met. but u can bet ur *** ill still be giving it a close eye no matter what. ill let yall know when he brings it over. nething else yall think i should look for besides engine trans. and front end. thats just the main stuff im worried about.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:33 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

check along the sides where the fenders bolt to the frame. if it has a bow or anything like that to it the frame is bent. also check right un front where the headlights and the headlight panel, and hood latch and junk is. if it has a bow or angle to it the frame is bent. these cars arent exactly known for being the sturdiest cars.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:35 PM
jhall01
2nd Gear Member

alright cool. ill keep all that in mind n ill keep yall posted on the car. thanks
Old 08-25-2007, 07:16 PM
jhall01
2nd Gear Member

well no 97 GT for me. it was all fine till i woke up this morning and found out that my house was flooded! so im not gonna get to spend any money on my car for a while. have to buy all to padding and carpet, trim.... so this really sucks!!