5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:46 PM
bronxboomer

Default RE: Help please

I just called up my autozone and they have the TPS in stock for $35.00 now the reason I'm alittle worry about is that once i buy this part and it dosen't work I'm stuck with it they wont take it back.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

so quit throwing parts at it and troobleshoot it...just because one person had a problem with a certain part not allowingtheir car to start doesn't mean that's your's like a tps sensor[&:]...........you need to see if the fuel pump is recieving a signal to energize in the crank position...it gets this signal via the ICM = tfi module...easiest way to test is back probe the B+ wire on the fuel pump and see if the test light light while cranking...if it does then the fuel pump circuitry is okay you can assume......then you need to check for a delivery problem and or restriction......if you have a fuel pressure tester you can hook it up and check pressure when you turn the key on...if none or little exists...you may have a restriction.......but since your car ran after replacing the pump for two hours...I'd lean towards a problem with the circuit that tells the fuel pump to remain energized...could be a relay under drivers seat but before I assume anymore giving you parts ideas to throw at the car...you need to test the circuit while cranking cause the reason the fuel pump turns off after 2 sec when turning car to the run position is it's programmed that way so as if it doesn't see a crank signal from the Icm then it knows the car isn't running therfore you wouldn't want the car to have the fuel pump powered up in the koeo mode
Old 11-22-2007, 12:50 PM
bronxboomer

okay ppl i bought a new TPS Senor and come to find out that wasn't the problem i kept playing with the car and checking all my wires & when i took off my Cap my Rotor was broken i bought a new cap & rotor and the car started up now the car lost power it feels very weak & when you step on it the car is poping alot with black smoke. I moved the Distributor around to see and nothing. Can anyone give me any ideas
Old 11-22-2007, 03:08 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Start w/ setting the timing correctly
Old 11-22-2007, 03:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: bronxboomer

okay ppl i bought a new TPS Senor and come to find out that wasn't the problem i kept playing with the car and checking all my wires & when i took off my Cap my Rotor was broken i bought a new cap & rotor and the car started up now the car lost power it feels very weak & when you step on it the car is poping alot with black smoke. I moved the Distributor around to see and nothing. Can anyone give me any ideas
so you didn't listen to what I said..hmmmm why am I not suprised well try this one more time.......if you have black smoke it's running to rich.....I'd start with checking fuel pressure..you'll need a gauge and tap into the test port/ schredor valve and see what pressure is and you don't have a ruptured regulator...but only test this after you've followed PRO50SC instructions on setting the timing
Old 11-22-2007, 03:27 PM
1fstlx
1st Gear Member

just to let everyone know............ bronx sent me a pm askin if the tps sensor was really the problem and i gave him instructions on how to test it, looks like he didnt listen to me either
Old 11-22-2007, 05:45 PM
biglew

If you replaced the tps it may not be set right.