5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

87 GT Vert Driver's Side Power Windows Not Working and other misc electric issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:55 AM
Redleg
1st Gear Member

Default 87 GT Vert Driver's Side Power Windows Not Working and other misc electric issues

purchased an 87 Mustang with hopes that the vehicle would be basic enough for me to learn more about working on cars. Any help troubleshooting these issues would be a great help.

The electrical system on my 87 GT Vert seems to be deteriorating.

The Power Windows on the driver's side have stopped working yesterday. Both driver's window and driver's side quarter panel window no longer go down. This happened simultaneously. The passenger's side still works fine.

My thoughts are that the wiring may be at fault since it is occuring on the same side of the vehicle. I don't know what the chances are of both driver's window and quarter panel window failing at the same time but would guess it is unlikely. Is there a way I can test if the wiring is not pumping the signal to the motor to lower the window?

Additionally, the Power Mirrors no longer adjust. This is nothing new. When I push the button to adjust the power mirror (on both sides), I can hear the mirror motors churning but both mirrors will only move in one direction (the right).

Also, the turn signals will intermittently "stick." For example, if I engage a turn signal (left or right), I do not hear the common "clicking" noise that accompanies the signal being engaged AND occasionally, the green arrow in the dash will stop blinking and remain "on" in the direction I'm turning. I've looked at the lights from the outside when this happens and the outside blinker will stop flashing-the turn signal just remains solid light. If I manually release the turn signal and re-engage it...the blinker will flash again.

Any thoughts?

Finally...I'm debating between the Chilton or Hayne's repair manual but haven't had any experience with either. The Amazon review lists the Chilton as not being in depth enough on electronics. Does anybody have a recommendation for the Hayne's? What I'd like out of a manual is something where I can look up the problem and the manual would talk me through troubleshooting steps. I don't know if anything exists like this.

Thanks. Any knowledge is appreciated...
Old 11-22-2007, 02:10 AM
1fstlx
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 87 GT Vert Driver's Side Power Windows Not Working and other misc electric issues

electrical problems can be headache. your power window problem is probably switch related. its kinda difficult to explain how to fix it without a powerprobe and a testlight. same goes for power mirrors. i would suggest that being new to this, i would take ur car to reputable repair shop. the blinkers are an easy one. replace the flasher
Old 11-22-2007, 04:43 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 87 GT Vert Driver's Side Power Windows Not Working and other misc electric issues

I've got the Hayne's repair manual and it has not let me down to this day (I've only used it twice though).
Old 11-22-2007, 11:07 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

From personal experience I would say it is the switches for the windows, also if your only getting power for one direction on BOTH your mirrors is also the switch.