5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

simple questions on nitrous oxide.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:13 PM
DoctorD415
2nd Gear Member

Default simple questions on nitrous oxide.....

Been doing as much research as i can, buti have a few simple questions on nitrous oxide.

First off considering you mount your tank in your trunk, or wherever, not sure where the common spots are, what happens if you go into an accident? What happens if the tank gets nailed or the top gets smashed off? Im almost positve that nitrous is illegal for street use or at least in MA, but i know people use it anyway, so is this dangerous having the tank in your car like this for street use?

Also say you were using like a 100 dry shot with a normal 10lb tank. How far will the tank last you?

Also when is the ideal time to use nitrous. Like is there a certain speed or RPM your supposed to use it at , or a safe time to use it?

Lastly, for a carburated car, what kind of modifications should be done to make the nitrous setup work well. I know thatyou should obviously use it on a well maintained engine, and im guessing you should have a certain spark plug, but should you have an upgraded fuel pump as well? Any info or insight would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:30 PM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: simple questions on nitrous oxide.....

ORIGINAL: DoctorD415

Been doing as much research as i can, buti have a few simple questions on nitrous oxide.

First off considering you mount your tank in your trunk, or wherever, not sure where the common spots are, what happens if you go into an accident? What happens if the tank gets nailed or the top gets smashed off? Im almost positve that nitrous is illegal for street use or at least in MA, but i know people use it anyway, so is this dangerous having the tank in your car like this for street use?

Also say you were using like a 100 dry shot with a normal 10lb tank. How far will the tank last you?

Also when is the ideal time to use nitrous. Like is there a certain speed or RPM your supposed to use it at , or a safe time to use it?

Lastly, for a carburated car, what kind of modifications should be done to make the nitrous setup work well. I know thatyou should obviously use it on a well maintained engine, and im guessing you should have a certain spark plug, but should you have an upgraded fuel pump as well? Any info or insight would be great. Thanks in advance.
i would first,upgrade the fuel pump,look for FLOW not pressure. get a good ignition system{msd,mallory etc etc} if you have an auto or a manual,i suggest a window switch.

and id stay away from a dry shot,go name brand dont buy junk,nitrous express,nos,edelbrock,top gun are all systems ive had very good luck with.

general rule of thumb is to not spray under 2500/3000 rpms,i stick to that theory,and its worked for me,also do not spray unless you are Wide open throttle.

a 100 shot should last you 10-14 passes depending on how,and how long you spray it.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I run a super powershot plate system set at 100 and it has yielded aboput 5-6 full 1/4 mile passes and don't spray below 3000 rpm's and if your worried about safety don't drive around with the tank in the trunk...I do but most of the time it's emptey and off and besides I rarely drive the car... for a 100 shot your not suppose to have to make any adjustments but I'd have a pump that can maintain flow and psi above 5.5 for 100 shot and be conservative on timing pull a few degrees out to be safe and once power level meets or exceeds 150.... pull 2 degrees for every 50 hp above 100 from timing and go a step colder on the plugs and I always run race gas to further prevent detonation
Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 PM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

your only gettin 5-6 passes?

ive never really measured since i always bring a bottle or 2 with me at the track... but damn.

i remember once when i was only using my NX nozzle stage on my fox out street racing i got about 10 races in before it ran out,i normally use my plate system for racing at the track. still 5-6 passes on a 100 shot seems low
Old 11-28-2007, 10:56 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

didnt read the other two posts...

anyway...

1. **** a dry shot, go wet.
2. my bottles in my trunk... im not worried about **** happening... but hell who knows
3. with out a bottle heater i would get about 4 passes out of my tank, before filling it back up half way to bring pressure back
4. dont spray below 3000rpms, dont spray unless your WOT... the easy way to take care of this is a WOT micro switch, and a window switch(my digital msd(ill recomend that, its a good piece) is set from 3k-6k) and an arming(on/off) switch
5. for a 100 shot i run stock(10* timing) with 90+ octane fuel... personally i may bump that up towards 14*... but i dont suggest you do that, stay at 10* or if you REALLY want to be happy go to 8*... but 10* will pull harder...
6. yes i run 1 step colder plug on my 100 shot(stock autolite 25, i run 24's)
7. ur carb, get a plate kit

anything else, lemme know
Old 11-28-2007, 11:00 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

o, and i spray 3k-6k in 1st, 2nd 3rd and 4th
Old 11-29-2007, 04:39 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You really don't want to spray dry with a carburetor.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:02 AM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: dimebag

didnt read the other two posts...

anyway...

1. **** a dry shot, go wet.
2. my bottles in my trunk... im not worried about **** happening... but hell who knows
3. with out a bottle heater i would get about 4 passes out of my tank, before filling it back up half way to bring pressure back
4. dont spray below 3000rpms, dont spray unless your WOT... the easy way to take care of this is a WOT micro switch, and a window switch(my digital msd(ill recomend that, its a good piece) is set from 3k-6k) and an arming(on/off) switch
5. for a 100 shot i run stock(10* timing) with 90+ octane fuel... personally i may bump that up towards 14*... but i dont suggest you do that, stay at 10* or if you REALLY want to be happy go to 8*... but 10* will pull harder...
6. yes i run 1 step colder plug on my 100 shot(stock autolite 25, i run 24's)
7. ur carb, get a plate kit

anything else, lemme know
quit being a puss dimebag....start sprayin the crap outta that stang