5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

O/R H vs. Catted H

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:27 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Default O/R H vs. Catted H

Performance shop here in Az claims they can get me more power w/ a Catted H-pipe than a O/R Pipe...is this BS...also they recommended a Custom H-Pipe cause aftermarket don't fit worth a sh(i)t.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 AM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: O/R H vs. Catted H

I am in AZ, where the heck did you go?

O/R is a better for sound supposedly there is a something like a 2-3 hp difference between hi-flow two cats and O/R which is debated among people in the hobby. It seems like they are just selling you their services since all they want to do is by a set of $50 cats and do some welding and of course charge you an arm and a leg.

When I was in the market for a mustang one of the cars I looked at belonged to a master Ford Tech. He said that a lot of his buddies cars couldn't pass emissions w/ high flow cats and failed more often than factory units. For what it is worth, he suggested Catco cats if you do ending u using aftermarket...(you can get them at jegs/summit).

Old 01-11-2008, 11:58 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Lopers in Phoenix is where i got these quotes...the guy at lopers said he was not trying to upsell me on the cats but wanted to mention the more power w/ cats. they also quoted me 750 for gears which seems a little high AMP said 800 for gears.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:14 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

I have talked to that guy Mike before...I didn't end up having the work done there. He wanted an extra hour of labor on top of normal R&Rfor my O/R pipe to put it on b/c "sometimes they need to be tweaked being aftermarket." Blah blah blah. It went on fine.

Funny that none of the aftermarket sh*t fits and then sell off road magnaflow x-pipes right next door at their little speed shop.Funny they sell it but it doesn't fit.

I am not saying they do bad work, but the openly admits that he will nickle and dime youwhich is what you really don't want out of a shop.

AMP gets a lot of mixed reactions around town, and you may have read bad reviews or seen links to threads about bad experiences with them. I have nit had work done there but had a friend who practially paid the lease on the shop he was tehre so much! haha.

AMP has O/R mac pipe for something like $129 in stock last time I checked. Good luck regardless with whatever you do.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 50Stocker

I have talked to that guy Mike before...I didn't end up having the work done there. He wanted an extra hour of labor on top of normal R&Rfor my O/R pipe to put it on b/c "sometimes they need to be tweaked being aftermarket." Blah blah blah. It went on fine.

Funny that none of the aftermarket sh*t fits and then sell off road magnaflow x-pipes right next door at their little speed shop.Funny they sell it but it doesn't fit.

I am not saying they do bad work, but the openly admits that he will nickle and dime youwhich is what you really don't want out of a shop.

AMP gets a lot of mixed reactions around town, and you may have read bad reviews or seen links to threads about bad experiences with them. I have nit had work done there but had a friend who practially paid the lease on the shop he was tehre so much! haha.

AMP has O/R mac pipe for something like $129 in stock last time I checked. Good luck regardless with whatever you do.
That is true though. Most aftermarket exhaust parts are not simply "bolt-on". And if you replace the entire exhaust, that tweaking is something you can count on.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:29 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Yea, Lopers did seem a little pricey... they also quoted $350 in labor for headers..don't have emission for a year or more so Im wondering if I get a O/R H I can just put the stock one on for emissions..don't know if that a painthough. Do you know of any good shops in Arizona.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:48 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

it does seem a tad pricey but he is right about some aftermarket exhausts not fitting perfectly. i would get some more quotes
Old 01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

If you plan on using shorty headers, just save your money and get it without cats and switch it out for emission time.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:59 PM
red95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

You exhaust will much louder with the offroad pipe,well mine was