5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:56 PM
95MustangMan

Default fuel pump question

Anyone know how to test the fuel pump without taking it off? Took it to the shop a few days ago and they said that the fuel pressure was about 5 pounds low (30 instead of 35), but the fuel filter was leaking. We replaced the fuel filter, and don't know how to check it now. The mechanic charged 75 dollars to test it last time, and i'm not willing to pay that much just to have them test it. Anyone know how to test it yourself?

It's the only other thing I can think of. Had all the injectors and fuel rail cleaned, new spark plugs, new wires, new distributor cap and rotor, and it still idles off sometimes (idle drops on it), and still stalls out sometimes after coming off of gas. Also have to give it gas once in a while when you start it up or it stalls right back out again, so I am thinking the fuel pump is actually going out, but need to check it. No CEL on, so it's the only other thing I can think of, everything else was replaced.

Also, do you know what would cause the Air Bag light to come on spiratically? When you first start the car, it's not on, than once you start driving it blinks on and off and than eventually just stays on. Probably a loose connection somewhere, but i'm worried about checking it and breaking something important.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: fuel pump question

ORIGINAL: 95MustangMan

Anyone know how to test the fuel pump without taking it off? Took it to the shop a few days ago and they said that the fuel pressure was about 5 pounds low (30 instead of 35), but the fuel filter was leaking. We replaced the fuel filter, and don't know how to check it now. The mechanic charged 75 dollars to test it last time, and i'm not willing to pay that much just to have them test it. Anyone know how to test it yourself?
Buy a fuel pressure guage maybe???

It's the only other thing I can think of. Had all the injectors and fuel rail cleaned, new spark plugs, new wires, new distributor cap and rotor, and it still idles off sometimes (idle drops on it), and still stalls out sometimes after coming off of gas. Also have to give it gas once in a while when you start it up or it stalls right back out again, so I am thinking the fuel pump is actually going out, but need to check it. No CEL on, so it's the only other thing I can think of, everything else was replaced.
Sounds like your IAC is dirty, or failing. Remove it and clean it out with some carb and choke cleaner, then give it a quick spray with silicone lubricant

Also, do you know what would cause the Air Bag light to come on spiratically? When you first start the car, it's not on, than once you start driving it blinks on and off and than eventually just stays on. Probably a loose connection somewhere, but i'm worried about checking it and breaking something important.
That could be anything.... but the SMART thing to do would be...... get the ABS codes scanned!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'm sure they did more than just a fuel pressure test for 75 dollars..scan your recipt and post it!!! I bet there are little extras they did for the 75 dollars..cause that sounds like an hour of troubleshooting....anyway buy a gauge and on the fuel rail is a schredor valve/ test port gauge screws onto....as for probs with car...you need to run a koer test and check for codes and for abs same thing..need to pull codes and refrence them to a chart
Old 05-16-2008, 05:03 AM
95MustangMan

As a reply to both, the mechanic hooked the car up to a scan tool and it didn't bring back any codes. He also didn't know why the airbag light was going weird like that, as it didn't throw codes for that, either.

I have the receipt, and would scan it if I had a scanner, however all i've got is a digital scanner. The only item on the receipt is a fuel system diagnostics, and from what the mechanic told me all he did was check the fuel pressure.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:07 AM
95MustangMan

Also, to Adder, we were going to do that, but were told that it's a pain taking it off and putting it back on, and sometimes once they are off they need to be replaced, so we were spectical about doing it merely on a 'hunch' that was what the problem was.

As long as the above isn't true, we don't have a problem taking it off and cleaning it out. It sounds weird it only does it when the clutch is engaged (not when driving), and only after the car has heated up to running temperature, or when coming off of a long/fast drive (highway).

Thanks for the tips, going to look at possibly renting a fuel pressure gauge from autozone or similar, as none of my other cars have the valves for it, and buying it for just one use wouldn't really be a worthwhile investment. Thanks again for the tips.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:24 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

its not a pain to remove/install it.... and its not a hunch.... its a common problem

and if you knew how the EEC-IV EMS system worked as well as I do... you would have already checked the IAC
Old 05-16-2008, 11:52 AM
95MustangMan

You know, I really don't know why you are being a smartass to somebody who is on here looking for help. If you have a problem with somebody asking for help, the best solution would probably be to ignore them instead of being rude to them.

I haven't done a thing to you, and really do not appreciate your rudeness. Some of us don't live on cars, and don't have the experience as others. Remember, you were in the same boat at one point in your life too, you weren't born with the experience to work on the car.

As for the IAC, it's already been checked and cleaned, and everything came back so far as good, not saying that it's 100% accurate that it's the problem. Also, when you unplug the IAC with the car running the cars runs ALOT worse, so the IAC is at least working if only partially, but an ohmmeter test showed it was giving off the right ohms.