5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Common Q: How can i beat a LS1? VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:25 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i'd take a built aodE lol. sure the tko would be a tad quicker if you can shift and it would be funner but when on the track the aod would be way more consistent, and thats what wins you money haha.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:45 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
consistent.
its the name of the game, imo.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:31 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
Was it completely built, or did the LT1 have a stock top end on it?

* On another note, those LT1's are crap compared to the LS1. The design behind the LT1's was good enough I guess; that is until you learn how an opti-spark works, and why that word will make you cower in fear as well as a host of other things. With the affordability of LS1's these days, most people will pass on the LT1's because they can be difficult when they want to be, and can be very hard to please if you're the poor soul who has one that isn't running right (which unfortunately seems to be quite a few with the LT1's, as opposed to its later kin the LS1 which is seemingly perfect in comparison.)
He got a set of some Stage 2 or something ported LT1 heads. Our cams and head flow are very similar. It's funny you mention the Opti-Spark because it's the reason his car never came out this season because it doesn't even run the distributor is so shot and he never got around to doing a COP conversion.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:33 AM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86HOGT
He got a set of some Stage 2 or something ported LT1 heads. Our cams and head flow are very similar. It's funny you mention the Opti-Spark because it's the reason his car never came out this season because it doesn't even run the distributor is so shot and he never got around to doing a COP conversion.
Spent many hours with my friend's 94 Z-28 ;P. Thank the lord I never had an LT-1 in my Camaro. I would be hating life more than anything, otherwise... granted my car currently has a POS 305 in it, but at least it always runs and doesn't constantly have electrical issues like his car does. I remember he paid $800 for that Optispark replacement. My mouth dropped after he told me he did that, and I wanted to bitch slap him for not just spending 200 more and getting a very decent used LS1. He's a TERRIBLE impulse buyer though, so I could only do so much.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:42 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
Spent many hours with my friend's 94 Z-28 ;P. Thank the lord I never had an LT-1 in my Camaro. I would be hating life more than anything, otherwise... granted my car currently has a POS 305 in it, but at least it always runs and doesn't constantly have electrical issues like his car does. I remember he paid $800 for that Optispark replacement. My mouth dropped after he told me he did that, and I wanted to bitch slap him for not just spending 200 more and getting a very decent used LS1. He's a TERRIBLE impulse buyer though, so I could only do so much.
i have friends that are like that...and they have A LOT of money. funny thing is they're also, LT-1 LS-1 owners themselves. hahaha

its hard dealing with them, but they pay so well for me to wrench on their car for a few hours
Old 09-29-2008, 09:51 AM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
i have friends that are like that...and they have A LOT of money. funny thing is they're also, LT-1 LS-1 owners themselves. hahaha

its hard dealing with them, but they pay so well for me to wrench on their car for a few hours
Actually, he bought these POS rockers a few weeks ago for his fresh never fired 383 LT-1, and I told him "don't do that, you're going to regret it if you do. One of those rockers is going to snap, and you're going to wish you never did that because they weren't designed for your application" and his common response is "eh, the hell with it. If something pops I'll get it fixed.. it's only $200 more for a set of new rockers anyways."

I just did a giant /facepalm and said OK. Next day one of his rockers snapped in half, and I got to do the classic "SEE, TOLD YOU SO" and continue on my merry way. You would figure after all the trouble he's had, he would just sit down and say "Maybe I should do things right this time" but I guess he's gotta learn the hard way.

Oh, and he also had his LT-1 heads ported and all that, and while it puts down some good power I am expecting to whomp him when I get my 5.0 from being tuned after all the parts put on it. Things would change drastically if he got a whole new upper end, though. That and his gears are crap stock ones. He said he wanted to keep them on for better fuel economy and I just didn't even answer to that because 383 stroker and fuel enconomy should never go in the same sentence.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:27 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

lol, my buddy brian has a 2000 LS1 that he loves to pay me to mod for him. exhuast, intake, light weight racing wheels street tires, computer tune, k&N.

my tranny is trash i have to granny shift each shift. but im all suspensioned out for the most part and a few motor mods.

anyways we were at the track earlier this month and they finally talked me into running the stang(even though i knew it was going to suck) but they were all rubbing it in talkin trash on it.

i bet brian 20 bucks i'd rip him out of the hole and be in second gear before he ever caught me. (he thinks this ls1 = god. so he took the bet)

i swapped a fellow stanger at the track for some weld pro stars with 255/60/15's MT et streets. launched at 4kish and destroyed him off the line.

i always preech to this kid suspension is where is at, he always thought i was dumb. now guess what he's purchasing at the end of this month?

btw....i got raped at the finish line

but for spring i have hi compression heads and gears...maybe nitrous awaiting him next run

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 09-29-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:44 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ckyguy68
The car you see racing with the H/C/I is the AOD car. The one doing burnouts was mine, in july before it broke. I am trying to convince him to let me do a tko-600 swap with a king cobra clutch... its just a matter of how he decides to spend his money. Its either that or a lentech valve body. What do you guys think? I say tko all the way
Im selling my tko to my buddy with a 4.6 but he cant use the flywheel or the bell housing pm me if intrested its a aluminum bellhousing and a fidanza flywheel 50oz