5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

carbureted and turboed

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:48 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

yea I know the guy I'm gettin it from said it came off of a suzuki or subaru I can't remember which one but it's a 7lb. max boost and I only want like 4lbs. or so. I'll probably just take the motor out at school that way it's just easier to do
Old 10-25-2008, 08:44 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

you need to do much reading before you start in on this my friend. the turbo you are talking wont work sorry all it will be after it spools up by the way that should be as soon as you start that thing up is a big exhaust restriction that thing will have the power of a Briggs & Stratton. Not trying to be a dick or anything just would hate to see you do all the work and have it not work. start reading up is the best advice I or anyone could give you at this point. then go at it there are a few good sites and lots of books on this. Turbo Mustangs now the Turbo forums is a real good site to read at but I will give you a heads up them guys over there can be rough on people when they start asking beginner questions.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:04 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

your talkin about the pipes of the turbo is gonna be to small and is gonna restrict the exhaust and will be less powerful than it is now
Old 10-25-2008, 09:26 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

theres cheaper ways to obtain your 300hp mark

whats done to the car so far?
Old 10-25-2008, 09:33 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

not really cause it's only gonna cost me $50 because my brother is real good with him but it's a 306 shortblock E-cam and E7s ported and polished with the springs to match
Old 10-25-2008, 12:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
not really cause it's only gonna cost me $50 because
no offense but not gonna happen for 50 bucks, you need a special carb like I said and all the proper tuning equipment upgrade your fuel system and complete exhaust...you need to listen to uedlose!!!.........I see him every friday when the local cruise in is active in our area and we talk about each improvement that has taken his 13 sec turbo car down to a 9 sec mph monster!!! and all by changing the exhaust, tweaking the tune and turbo and having the proper fuel system and down to a cam designed for a turbo car........and he switched from a supercharger to turbo, what worked good for the s/c car did not complement the turbo car well initially
Old 10-25-2008, 04:30 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
no offense but not gonna happen for 50 bucks
I was talkin about that's how much the turbo is gonna cost me and if I can't get it to fit on my car then I'll just build me another 4cyl. turbo
Old 10-25-2008, 05:51 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

That turbo is way to small for the 5.0. Period! 4 lbs of boost from a SINGLE walnut sized turbo is going to do nothing for your car. The carb alone is going to cost you well into the 300 dollar range. Just take the money you are putting into this turbo idea and put juice to it. Way easier and cheaper and despite common belief, it won't blow your car up!!!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:01 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

that may be true but in the long run guess which is cheapest I guess i'll just build me a 4 cyl. notch turbo and then just wait on me some money for some heads or something like that
Old 10-25-2008, 07:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

oh okay gotcha........a decent set of heads and rpm intake and 12's will be a breeze

Quick Reply: carbureted and turboed