5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

couple new paint questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Pietrasz4
3rd Gear Member

im pretty confused over this color situation lol it makes me nervous...the possibility that i may with i went with another color scares the crap out of me haha
Old 11-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Bansh-eman

just keep in mind that with paint, the most important thing about a quality finished product is the quality of prep work. I wouldnt attempt to do your own prep work unless you know wtf is going on.

Also paint is one of those things that you get what you pay for. If someone offers you the same paint job for 400 bucks that everywhere else is charging 1200... there is a reason for it.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 PM
NotchSmack

hey I paint cars to bad your not near ct. btw definately go Base / clear don't let any hack shops talk you into a single stage. There are newer single stage paints out now that BODY SHOPS are trying to push and by push i mean usually j (ust s/s your car and not tell you. they will tell you that these new single stage paints lay out and look just like base/ clear. they will not last as long and may be near impossible to blend should you need repair work. you normally don't have to worry about shops single staging your car when you get repaire work done because they have to match whats already there ( most likely bc/cc). usually they will do this when you want the whole car painted and you don't want to spend a lot. just my 2c back to your original Q removing these parts would def save you money if you came to me because thats less work for me. I can tell you this, in my area theres not a single shop that i have found that will do a bc/ cc for under 2500$, and thats not a color change over thats a Mask & tape repaint. you may be able to get a single stage for 1500$ but i wouldn't s/s anything in my garage. Matt btw I do Quality paint work in the CT area if anyone is in need, I do it on the side at my personal shop so im cheaper than a legit bodyshop, but i don't do hack jobs I take my time and do it right it's my name on it and i take great pride in my work. if you do need work pm me, also i really can't give an acurate est with out seeing the car in most cases that wouldn't be fare to you or me sorry for blabing on MATT
Old 11-21-2008, 01:01 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

our minimum for BC/CC is about 4k
Old 11-21-2008, 01:44 AM
oompa

any shop that is good will not want you to take the car apart. I charge extra when somone brings me a car in pices. where you live that is the going rate for a nice paint job if you can afford it dont do a maco paint job on the car.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:32 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bansh-eman
3-6k seems very high for a paint job. Are you doing anything custom? Just to blast primer and do a single color shouldnt be more then a few hundred (700-900). once you start getting into pin stripes, racing stripes, and custom work thats when you will start adding some bigger digits.

Also keep in mind if you find a place that quotes you a super low price, they more then likely do not tape of the locks and open the doors and hoods and paint under them and paint the hendges. If you want it done right it is going to cost you around a grand. And thats for a single color with no metalics or anything special.
LOL 700-900 I can hardly get the paint tape primer paper for that.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Bansh-eman

Originally Posted by uedlose
LOL 700-900 I can hardly get the paint tape primer paper for that.
You need to find a new wholesaler then my man, I can go walk into a auto body supply store here in San Diego paying retail and buy that stuff for much cheaper then that. Will it be top of the line paint? No, but doing a single spray no base your not going to get custom paint anyhow.

Last edited by Bansh-eman; 11-21-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:14 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

4-6K is normal for a professional paint job unlees you go to macoo which will cost you 400-600
Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

I like the darker... my friend Dan has the light one on his Silverado, its nice, but the darker looks better imo
Old 11-21-2008, 08:08 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bansh-eman
You need to find a new wholesaler then my man, I can go walk into a auto body supply store here in San Diego paying retail and buy that stuff for much cheaper then that. Will it be top of the line paint? No, but doing a single spray no base your not going to get custom paint anyhow.
To start with I don't spray single spray it is call single stage by the way. All I do is BC/CC as far as the best paint on the market did you or did you not say you get what you pay for? with paint. I use DuPont far from the best but real good and I buy from paint wholesale suppliers as I do it for a living. and if I was gone to paint a car for someone I don't cut corners on cheap paint I like to think of there car as my own and I know they would be happy cuz I am. Know what I mean. But then some peoples idea of a nice paint job and others is different any way.

Quick Reply: couple new paint questions...