5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

stroker motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
Read the entire thread!! his cam is fine he does not have stock heads
I read the thread form the begining. I just saw where he posted up about his set up. I was working on the assumption that he was using stock heads, etc etc. Assumption is the mother of all ***** ups
Old 11-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

I were not going to post, but I couldn't resist........... I know it is already known that PJB has AFR 165 heads, but here it goes....

Originally Posted by Portmaster
OK here lies some of the problem. because I don't know your car I will assume(please correct me if I'm wrong) that you have E7 heads on your car. I've had a lot of stock E7 heads on my flow bench and it's rare to see a set that will flow more that 160 CFM on the intake side. (most of the fall around 150 CFM or less) and here is the big thing. They all reach maximun flow at around .400 inch lift. Pushing the valve to .555 is wasted motion and wasted lift. In your case it's not how far the valve is pushed open but how long it stays open thats going to make the differance. Then assuming your car has the stock induction system with a CIA, bigger T-body and K&N filter it's plenty of air for the stock E7 heads.
If the heads lack in flow, wouldn't it make sense to have them flowing for a longer period of time?

Now this isn't to say that the best cam would only have .400 lift but because of ramp angle there is a slight effect on the total duration of the cam. The duration @.50 is a standard so most people will know how that cam will idle because most cam makers have differant methods of measuring duration. This gives the buyer and builder a realistic expectation of how the cam will react.
+ duration @.100" and .200"

And while your valve springs may be good for .600 lift the installed height may be either binding on the top of the valve guides and collapsing the lifters may be causing you problems you don't even know about yet.
I'm lost here..... how can lifters collapse with valve closed?

The likely reason your car is falling on it's face is to much lift during the low end of the rpm range. Air speed in the heads is stalled because the you have too much valve lift way to soon. The velocity of the air is more important than Volume.
How can air speed be stalled? Do the intake ports see a 28" of H20 pressure drop across the board? BTW..... what about the bigger volume or cross section area intake port case? Wouldn't having more lift at low RPMS decrease the air velocity even further?...... More area/space + lift, wouldn't it net less air speed?

Think of it this way. You can shoot a tennis ball farther out of a 3 inch pipe with 100psi than out of a 6 inch pipe with 200 psi.
How does this affect INTAKE?..... it's not just one tennis ball were trying to shoot inside the chamber, but plenty of them. Tennis ***** = A/F..... more A/F in the chamber/cylinder = more A/F to make power?

If I were you this is what I would do. I would find a cam with around .500 lift and 216-220 duration @.50 lift. This will make your car make the best use of mild mods and support even a good port job in the future. It will be easy on the valve train, give you excellant torque right off idle and carry you just past 5000 rpm where the heads will become the limiting factor.
E-303?

Just a few Cam suggestions I would make would be a FMS B-303or E303, Trick Flow Stage 1 just to name a few of the many. Comp has several that would work well as well as Crane. Edelbrock also has their Performer Hyd Roller that works great with stock E7's (Edelbrock,Trick Flow are ground by Crane).
B-303 is 224/224 duration, TFS Stg 1 is 221/225.... wouldn't they be over the 220 duration @.050" lift threshold?

I can tell you first hand that as the guy who has to put together the right combonation of parts that it's hard not to get a little ahead of yourself. You have to take a realistic approach to getting it right because whats good in one car won't be good in another. Like gear ratios a set of 4.10s don't work best in every car. Low RPM high torque engines like 3:73s better.
Agree.... it's all in the combo of the whole setup.

Bottom line is your cam is too big and it's like throwing a Hot dog down a hallway. It's not the grinders fault although some of the guys on some of these cam tech lines have no idea what they are doing other than punching your information in a computer program and then rolling off a number. You have to know air flow dynamics to get the ultimate custom grind cam. If you don't know stay conservative and get and off the shelf grind that good for the engine you have. Don't convince yourself you have something you don't. It's the biggest mistake in cam selection.
An FTI custom cam is specified/made based on the peripherals to be used..... FYI..... check their site...... reducing their work to a "cam tech line" level is more than an insult.... IMHO.

Staying conservative on your build will result in a car that makes gobs of Torque and when it's all said and done thats what gets the car moving. Big Hp Numbers down at the dyno don't mean squat because HP is just a mathimatical figure based on RPM. I've taken a 700 hp car and blown the doors off 1000 hp+ cars that were dyno queens. The differance was I was making 700 lbs of torque right off idle all the way to my shift point of only 6000 rpm. They were having to wind those dyno queens to 5000 rpm before they started making power. On the street Torque rules.
You might want to check the numbers in your example above...... a 700 TQ @6000 RPMS setup = 800 HP.... and 700 TQ from 1000 RPMS all the way to 6000 RPMS?

Last edited by Joel5.0; 11-28-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Jay Allen

DSS Level 2 Bullet. Order today will have it sitting at your door in a week. I buy my blocks from them and they come looking sterile. I tell them where I want the cyls honed and always dead on the money. I ordered a short block from them and I was impressed. If you knew me you would know that takes a lot. No decent machine shops in my area.
If you don't know how to measure to begin with, then how do you know that the block is even close? I can give you examples where a customer bought a DSS product and it failed. When contacting dss Tom told the customer "Oh Well".

1. Get the wrong grind and it will turn your car into a pig.
2. Everything else revolves around the cam.
3. It determines at what rpm your engine makes peak power. Slide a cam that makes it's power from 4500-6500 in a engine that runs out of breath at 4800 and it's going to be a pig.
4. Even as long as I've neen building engines when I end up picking an off the shelf cam I'll take a step backwards. I have a custom ground cam in my engine. If you were to put it in a stock 5.0 I doubt it would even start much less run well.
5. When getting a cam you have to figure in everything from compression ratio, weight, gear ratio, head flow, exhaust size, induction, cubic inch, and a dozen other things.
1. While we do have very distinct Philosophical differences, this is true.
2. This is very true. But, why do you say this here and in another thread you say that heads are too big and loose "velocity"? If everything revolves around the cam (and it does BTW) then how can a head be too big? Remember, we do not race flow benches and we do not race dynos.
3. This is misinformation at its best. Use the POS E-Cam. Put it in a 302 with stock heads. Now add a set of aftermarket heads. Is the engine's RPM range going to be the same just because the "cam" is rated for X? Then use the same cam and heads on a 347. The RPM range is still "rated" the same? I have learned in my time of racing and poking around engines that anytime a fool hangs an RPM range to a part, misinformation is abound. You sir are no different.
4. This is because OTS cams are inaccurate. This is because from one lobe to the next they differ in spec. Actually I could go on and on.......This is why I CNC everything I do.
5. You are preeching to the choir. It takes me 2 - 3 HOURS to design lobes and then get it to the camshaft. It is funny to me when you call a phone monkey and within 5 minutes they have the cam for you! Or better yet, "I have a *custom* cam here on the shelf for you!

OK here lies some of the problem. because I don't know your car I will assume(please correct me if I'm wrong) that you have E7 heads on your car. I've had a lot of stock E7 heads on my flow bench and it's rare to see a set that will flow more that 160 CFM on the intake side. (most of the fall around 150 CFM or less) and here is the big thing. They all reach maximun flow at around .400 inch lift. Pushing the valve to .555 is wasted motion and wasted lift. In your case it's not how far the valve is pushed open but how long it stays open thats going to make the differance. Then assuming your car has the stock induction system with a CIA, bigger T-body and K&N filter it's plenty of air for the stock E7 heads.
OMG. This is nothing more than jibberish. One because you are "***"uming. Do not come to a forum and try to be the "Book Of Knowledge" when you do not have a friggin clue. When you are head limited (IF this kid has E7's) you MUST open the valve longer at a given duration. Hence "Dwell Lobe" or "Square Lobe" cams. And racing the flow bench is dumb. So what the head has peak airflow at .400" lift? If I open the valve to .550" lift then calculate the AVERAGE AIR FLOW!!! Now you'll get the peak flow TWICE (not just once) and the air flow average is always higher. Plus, you are looking at some based on what? 28" of water? A 302 at 6000 RPM is seeing a far greater depression than 28". This ain't 1972 anymore. Things have changed!

Now this isn't to say that the best cam would only have .400 lift but because of ramp angle there is a slight effect on the total duration of the cam. The duration @.50 is a standard so most people will know how that cam will idle because most cam makers have differant methods of measuring duration. This gives the buyer and builder a realistic expectation of how the cam will react.
That is exactly what you have said above. You cannot pick and choose what you mean. How can we have different methods of measuring the same thing? Duration in this case? I'd love to hear this one.

And while your valve springs may be good for .600 lift the installed height may be either binding on the top of the valve guides and collapsing the lifters may be causing you problems you don't even know about yet.
The installed height is the distance from the under side odf the retainer to the cup/shim/casting, whatever you are using. The I/H is a measurement and cannot cause anything itself. The retainer could be making contact with the valve seal, but that is NOT at ALL what you have said.

Collapsing lifters? Now this is boarderline retarded. I have PHYSICALLY ran not only in MY junk but in 2 dozen customer's cars a Comp Cams 999-16 spring. 228# on the seat and 608# open. It works and it works like a b!tch. Now if you are using cheap SADI cores and 50.00 OEM Eaton lifters, then maybe you have issues that even YOU don't know. But me and my valuable customers don't use junk.

The likely reason your car is falling on it's face is to much lift during the low end of the rpm range. Air speed in the heads is stalled because the you have too much valve lift way to soon. The velocity of the air is more important than Volume.
This too is dumb.

So the cam has a lower lift at idle than it does at 5000 RPM? When did a 302 start coming with variable valve timing?

If air speed is stalled then the velocity is too great. That means the heads are too small (which is the case 90% of the time). The old time Myths that have been allowed to propagate on message boards is foolish. Most mods don't enough to weed out that bad information from the good. Essentially, if you buy a head because you don't want to loose bottom end, then the head is too small.

A prime example is found iin Big Block Chevys. The LS6 head had a huge rectangular port and flowed massive amounts of air. The LS6 made 450 Hp compared to the LS5 that had small Oval ports and was rated at 365Hp. We learned back in the late 70's when all the LS6 heads were taken that you could take an LS5 oval Port head and clean up the bowls and ports and Those things were capable of 600+ hp with factory castings on a 461 cubic inch engine. Better yet they made way more torque from idle right to 6000 rpm. Then the LS6 heads started to shine. The Oval ports have super fast air speed and thats what fill the cylinders with air/fuel mixtures. Think of it this way. You can shoot a tennis ball farther out of a 3 inch pipe with 100psi than out of a 6 inch pipe with 200 psi.
If we were shooting tennis ***** then THANKS for that analogy!

But the rest is wrong.

Up above you just said that the CAM was the most important thing and that EVERYTHING revolved around the cam. Now you are singing yet another tune.

If the same work is done to a LS-6 head it runs a circle around a LS-5 head. And if they make more TQ, then your CAM was phucked up.

If I were you this is what I would do. I would find a cam with around .500 lift and 216-220 duration @.50 lift. This will make your car make the best use of mild mods and support even a good port job in the future. It will be easy on the valve train, give you excellant torque right off idle and carry you just past 5000 rpm where the heads will become the limiting factor.
His cam card has already been posted. If you knew and understood engines like you 'think' you do, you could look at the card, see where the lobes came from, and immediately identify the problem.

And just because he has a .500" lift with 216* at .050", that will automatically be "easy" on the valve train? What is the lobe was 150* at .200"? I could destroy valve springs within 5 minutes.

Just a few Cam suggestions I would make would be a FMS B-303or E303, Trick Flow Stage 1 just to name a few of the many. Comp has several that would work well as well as Crane. Edelbrock also has their Performer Hyd Roller that works great with stock E7's (Edelbrock,Trick Flow are ground by Crane).
You have no clue where the 159.00 - 169.00 junk cams are ground. Just like the lifter mess. You really don't know.

You really are a legend in your own mind!

I can tell you first hand that as the guy who has to put together the right combonation of parts that it's hard not to get a little ahead of yourself. You have to take a realistic approach to getting it right because whats good in one car won't be good in another. Like gear ratios a set of 4.10s don't work best in every car. Low RPM high torque engines like 3:73s better.
This is a very general statement.

What is a low RPM engine?
What is a high TQ engine?
Doesn't tire height figure into this?
What about clutch slip or convertor slippage?

Irregardless of the engine, the gear ratio MUST match the RPM range.

Does this classify as "getting ahead of yourself"?

My cam selections are based on your car being stock weight, stock engine with stock heads and the usual bolt-ons. If you will give me detailed information I'll come up with a good selection for you. I've been doing this for a long time and while I left the block machining to the CNC guys years ago. I still do head flow programs for others.
You do cylinder heads for others???

Bottom line is your cam is too big and it's like throwing a Hot dog down a hallway. It's not the grinders fault although some of the guys on some of these cam tech lines have no idea what they are doing other than punching your information in a computer program and then rolling off a number. You have to know air flow dynamics to get the ultimate custom grind cam. If you don't know stay conservative and get and off the shelf grind that good for the engine you have. Don't convince yourself you have something you don't. It's the biggest mistake in cam selection.
Never thrown a hot dog down the hallway. I am too busy going fast and helping others to go fast that I don't have time.

His cam is the FARTHEST thing from being "too big".

But, in your opinion, what makes any cam "big" or "small"?

Staying conservative on your build will result in a car that makes gobs of Torque and when it's all said and done thats what gets the car moving. Big Hp Numbers down at the dyno don't mean squat because HP is just a mathimatical figure based on RPM. I've taken a 700 hp car and blown the doors off 1000 hp+ cars that were dyno queens. The differance was I was making 700 lbs of torque right off idle all the way to my shift point of only 6000 rpm. They were having to wind those dyno queens to 5000 rpm before they started making power. On the street Torque rules.
1. Gobs of torque and a 302 are an oxymoron. 347 or a 357 from a 302, maybe.
2. 700 TQ off of idle? That is a LIE! 810cid IHRA Pro-Stockers do not do that.

I read the thread form the begining. I just saw where he posted up about his set up. I was working on the assumption that he was using stock heads, etc etc. Assumption is the mother of all ***** ups
And you sir, excel in this area.