5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Got a new Stang

Old 12-02-2008, 09:06 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

i would verify the vin and make sure its an 89

also run KOER/KOEO test to retrieve the laundry list of codes im sure the car has
Old 12-02-2008, 01:49 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

Also, I had my buddy look at it and he said it had a misfire because he put his hand over the cap and rotor and it shocked the hell out of him, and since it has no MAF sensor, I see raw fuel coming out of the exhaust.

So were should I start guys?

With the tune up or the MAF sensor? I can't even find the wires to the MAF sensor.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...Check by seeing what computer is in the car (make sure to disconnect the battery 1st)...I would go with a C&L 73 or 76mm MAF & basic tune-up...

Did you check to see if the car is a 4 cyl. conversion??
Old 12-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Chuckles_5.0
2nd Gear Member

um...by rotor do you mean distributer? cause when you do your timing you turn the distributer by the base, not the cap...because the cap will shock you. Why would being shocked by an electrical instument make you think it was a misfire?

Some one correct me if I'm wrong about that. but my distributer cap shocked me when I wasn't paying attention and grabbed it...and my car runs fine.

As for your MAF wires, make sure you check in the fender wall, they might have stuffed them back there to keep them out of the way. And hope they didn't chop them off, cause that would suck.

wait...do they run threw the fender wall? I don't remember now. Check any way.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:42 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

Okay guys, yesterday I went to give the guy the rest of the cash and he was going to give me the paperwork for the DMV and what not, and as I'm looking through it, it says its and '87 and not an '89, so I'm like WTF!

Well I still paid the guy because $1,200 is a very descent price if you ask me.

So I guess the fact that there is no MAF sensor can be thrown out the door now, so I'm going to do the tune up (put my old wires off of my wrecked GT for now) and change the oil (as it's blacker than black rite now), and then I'll see from there.

Anybody got any other ideas about the jerking when shifting at the lower gears?

(The waterpump leaks and will have to be replaced if it matters.)
Old 12-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...What about using your wiring harness from your wrecked GT and convert to mass-air?...is it a hesitation? SD does that between gears....Post some pics

Need to replace the waterpump!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:51 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by timspony
...What about using your wiring harness from your wrecked GT and convert to mass-air?...is it a hesitation? SD does that between gears....Post some pics

Need to replace the waterpump!

Yes it is a little hesitant, I had never been in a fox '87-'88, so I have no idea if its supposed to be like that.

I don't plan on keeping the car for that long so putting in my wiring harness from my wrecked GT would be out of the question (I plan on keeping the engine, tranny, and wiring harness) just in case I find a nice clean coupe for cheap with no engine or tranny.

I've already put it up on CL for $2,500 O.B.O, and people have been calling but I don't want to show them the car if it leaks water from the water pump (picked up a re-manufactured one from Kragen for like 30 bucks) and that hesitation when shifting.

Here's the link,

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/939370324.html

p.s
A friend of mine posted it up for me, if it was me I'd sound a little more professional!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:46 PM
83glx5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by timspony
...Check by seeing what computer is in the car (make sure to disconnect the battery 1st)...I would go with a C&L 73 or 76mm MAF & basic tune-up...

Did you check to see if the car is a 4 cyl. conversion??
Yup, always a good idea. Ran the vin on my car a little while back to find out it was a v6 car, doh! Ive grown quite attached to it tho. Wouldnt mind having another 4cyl car to beat on tho.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

My 86 didn't do that when it was SD nor now.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:34 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86HOGT
My 86 didn't do that when it was SD nor now.
Didn't do what?

The hesitation or slight jerk when shifting?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got a new Stang