5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Used 89 Mustang GT help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

doesnt look too bad, I'd find out what it looks like under the hood and underneath...

note, those arent the original taillights, nor rims... but thats not much of a big deal...
Old 12-12-2008, 05:16 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

WHAT. 23k miles, that baby is untouched, it def a good price if you find no rust. and ya i thought it was strange that they didn't take a pic of the engine
Old 12-12-2008, 06:57 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

looks good, especially the interior. I wonder if it actualy has 125K miles? It kinda sucks its from a dealership, you'd have to pay dealership fees ontop of the price.

Last edited by camaroeater; 12-12-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by camaroeater
looks good, especially the interior. I wonder if it actualy has 125K miles? It kinda sucks its from a dealership, you'd have to pay dealership fees ontop of the price.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. It could be 225k. You are not going to find 1 in a 100 foxbody mustangs with less than 75k miles
Old 12-12-2008, 07:47 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by camaroeater
Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that as well. I would see if a carfax would show a time progression of mileage. If it's in a state w/ emissions, the mileage should be recorded every time it goes through. From the pics, it looks pretty clean, but a lot of cars do.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:02 PM
306stang
2nd Gear Member

If it is what it says it is, dont even wait a second, that car looks SOLID!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:00 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

My car is a rust bucket so I can help you on the areas to look. If it is a GT look:
-under the hatch lip
-the rear quarter lip check for obvious signs of bondo work(rust repair)
-behind the quarter extension plastic just take a peek behind.
-look at the bottoms of the doors and look real close at the parts of the rocker panels you can see for bubbles.
-front frame rails you can usualy see any problem rust when looking in the engine bay, make a special effort to really check the area under the brake booster.
-Back corners in my hatch are a little soft you may want to look there.
Floor pans throughly check, they tend to rust up by the toe board first.
-Theres no way to check for the cowl really unless the owner doesn't mind you taking the grill off(6 philips screws)

Thats my experience on rust lol

One last thing feel the carpet real good for wetness on the drivers side where the carpet ends up above the pedals see if you can stick your hand down there to feel moisture. This would be a sign of a cowl leak.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:14 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Thumbs down

Just did an AutoCheck report and it says that in 1997 the car had 82,000 miles then in 11/08 it states 21,000 miles. I hate f*cking dealers. I hate every single one of them. It also states... "The vehicle has been reported as used as a fleet, rental and/or lease vehicle. "
Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

that sucks
Old 12-12-2008, 11:57 PM
LT61
2nd Gear Member

From personal experience I can vouch for the seat twist, it turns into a "gangster lean" which is currently what im working on replacing now. Kinda hard to find an old stock seat in good condition. As for rust, there isn't much. There tends to be some on the lip of the hatch where it comes down to the rear bumper and some in the wheel wells. However, if you take a good luck underneath and along the rocker panals, if they are clean, the guy took good care of it and you shouldnt have much to worry about. Another pain is that the heater core and blower motor are known to go so if you buy an 87-93 style fox its a real pain in order to replace (gotta tear off the entire dash, again I can vouch for this, just did it with my buddy in his driveway this past summer) but in the 4-eye stangs, its a matter of taking apart the glove box. On the plus side, I have had to major issues with my car, or any of my friends for that matter. Been a reliable and fun car and I wouldnt have it any other way. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Used 89 Mustang GT help...