5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

How does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 03:26 PM
cortlan
2nd Gear Member

Default How does it compare?

Ok guys,
I've been trying to find comparison flow numbers or something about the Tubular GT40 intake manifold! I absolutely LOVE the looks of it, but what would I need to do for install? (any special parts?) I'm thinkin as long as I buy it with the lower and upper intake it would fit... Correct?

Would I be better off to just get the edelbrock rpm II? or would the tubular gt40 perform similar?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:17 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cortlan
Ok guys,
I've been trying to find comparison flow numbers or something about the Tubular GT40 intake manifold! I absolutely LOVE the looks of it, but what would I need to do for install? (any special parts?) I'm thinkin as long as I buy it with the lower and upper intake it would fit... Correct?

Would I be better off to just get the edelbrock rpm II? or would the tubular gt40 perform similar?
You would also need a inlet elbow. http://www.macperformance.com/store/product1.cfm?SID=3&Product_ID=171 Trickflow, edleborck, and professional products make them. Late model restoration has them, but they don't have them on their website. You will also need a gasket set whci you probably know.

Last edited by FORD TOUGH; 12-23-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:20 PM
cortlan
2nd Gear Member

do you know about the performance aspect of the tubular's? I love the look but if it's not a good flowing intake, I don't want it!

Thanks for the info Ford Tough!
Old 12-23-2008, 05:29 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Well I know the lower GT40 intake is the same as the cobra, explorer intake. I would think the gt40 upper would be better than the cobra but I dont know. The cobra intake is pretty close to the edelbrock intake. Here is some flow data
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/F.../Explorer.html
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/614.shtml
I just found a site with gt40 flow numbers.
http://www.crt-performance.com/techtips2.htm
^There is some really good info on that site.
There is some conflicting data on those sites but for the most part there are fairly close.

Last edited by FORD TOUGH; 12-23-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:48 PM
cortlan
2nd Gear Member

sweet! thanks, great info! I was also wondering could I set up a different lower intake with the tubular upper? cuz (correct me if i'm wrong) the lower intake is more important, flow wise, than than the upper? so, could I somehow match a better lower to the upper to create better flow? I may be totally crazy for thinkin that, i'm just curious!
Old 12-23-2008, 05:53 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

sweet! thanks, great info! I was also wondering could I set up a different lower intake with the tubular upper? cuz (correct me if i'm wrong) the lower intake is more important, flow wise, than than the upper? so, could I somehow match a better lower to the upper to create better flow? I may be totally crazy for thinkin that, i'm just curious!
No problem. I'm glad you asked because I learned something. I would think that the upper and lower intakes would be equally important. You could mix different intakes, the easiest way to see if they would be compatible would be to check and see if they use the same upper gasket. Also don't forget about hood clearance and clearance around the strut tower brace.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:56 PM
cortlan
2nd Gear Member

ya... I'm eventually going to have to get a new hood anyways... so hopefully i'll get all of it around the same time! Would you think that the tubular would perform significantly worse then, let's say the edelbrock RPM II? or would there only be a minimal difference?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:00 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

ya... I'm eventually going to have to get a new hood anyways... so hopefully i'll get all of it around the same time! Would you think that the tubular would perform significantly worse then, let's say the edelbrock RPM II? or would there only be a minimal difference?
I think the tubular would be a good intake but the explorer intake is pretty good for the price you find them. Edelbrock makes some fine products but it all depends in your combination. I doubt that there would be whole of hp difference in those intakes.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:09 PM
cortlan
2nd Gear Member

ok ya that's what I was thinkin... I'm buildin a 331 stroker should be done Jan 1st so hopefully once that's paid off I can get into more serious decision making! thanks for the help!

If you learn anything more! feel free to send me more info!
Old 12-23-2008, 07:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

although the gt-40 looks cool and was a top perform back in the day for your build the 2 front runners IMO should be the rpm II or the holley systemax

Quick Reply: How does it compare?