5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1980 Cobra.. What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Sparky73
1st Gear Member

Well I emailed the seller back and asked him what the deal was. I was told it was an actual Cobra. IF it does have this tag and/or Cobra on the title.. can I consider this one? I just don't see why anyone would go through SO much trouble, just to say it's something its not. Any clues on the "Turbo" badge on the dash? Did someone just add that to add to the 'believe-ability"? lol

Thanks for all your patience guys..
Old 12-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Explosive

The turbo badge would mean it was born as a 2.3L turbo car such as mine was.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:51 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sparky73
Well I emailed the seller back and asked him what the deal was. I was told it was an actual Cobra. IF it does have this tag and/or Cobra on the title.. can I consider this one? I just don't see why anyone would go through SO much trouble, just to say it's something its not. Any clues on the "Turbo" badge on the dash? Did someone just add that to add to the 'believe-ability"? lol

Thanks for all your patience guys..
If it is in fact a Cobra & with the "A" engine code it could only have been a turbo 4cyl from the factory that is why it has the turbocharged badge on the dash. And YES you can consider it a Cobra, it just is not a SVT Cobra by any means.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Sparky73
1st Gear Member

Talked to the previous owner for about 30 minutes over the phone this afternoon, and this is what I found out.

From what he can tell, the car IS a true 1980 Cobra, although previous owners before him had done quite a bit of work to the car.. so he can't guarantee it was born a Cobra.

It has no 'buck tag' like mentioned earlier, BUT it did originally have the Turbocharged 2.3L.

He says all the original emblems that were marked "Cobra" throughout the car ARE there, as well as the Turbo on the dash.

The car comes with, like mentioned, a 302 block.. which he does not know exactly what year or anything it came out of. It IS a Ford stamped block though. He said MAYBE 2,000 miles since rebuild.

The transmission is the C4 (also newly rebuilt.. although didn't really need it). What I did find out is that the car originally had a 5-Speed. With the area around the shifter pretty hacked up.. I now understand why. Should I go back to the 5 Speed, or would the auto be a better decision?

It has a 9" Ford Rearend.

So really, this is either an actual cobra.. or a well done replica. What do you think it is? And what will either do to the value?

Last edited by Sparky73; 12-27-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:28 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Talked to the previous owner for about 30 minutes over the phone this afternoon, and this is what I found out.

From what he can tell, the car IS a true 1980 Cobra, although previous owners before him had done quite a bit of work to the car.. so he can't guarantee it was born a Cobra.
WTF!? It is either a Cobra or it is not, you simply cannot make a Cobra, thats called a clone!

It has no 'buck tag' like mentioned earlier, BUT it did originally have the Turbocharged 2.3L.

He says all the original emblems that were marked "Cobra" throughout the car ARE there, as well as the Turbo on the dash.
The Turbo 2.3L doesn't guarantee it was a Cobra but makes it more believable as does all the proper interior badging.

The car comes with, like mentioned, a 302 block.. which he does not know exactly what year or anything it came out of. It IS a Ford stamped block though. He said MAYBE 2,000 miles since rebuild.

The transmission is the C4 (also newly rebuilt.. although didn't really need it). What I did find out is that the car originally had a 5-Speed. With the area around the shifter pretty hacked up.. I now understand why. Should I go back to the 5 Speed, or would the auto be a better decision?

It has a 9" Ford Rearend.

So really, this is either an actual cobra.. or a well done replica. What do you think it is? And what will either do to the value?

As far as Value, at this point if it is a Cobra or not doesn't add any value it is just another modded early fox body Mustang.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Sparky73
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by raven_ghostwolf
As far as Value, at this point if it is a Cobra or not doesn't add any value it is just another modded early fox body Mustang.
Alright, thanks for all the help! It's like I told the PO, I wasn't going to back out on the sale just because it wasn't a true Cobra. It didn't matter to me at all, I just wanted to know the truth lol. I ended up paying what he had for his reserve price.. $2000.

He's only an hour away as well, so that will save me a lot in gas as well.