5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

427 stroker help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:06 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Default 427 stroker help

OK so my father in law has a 427 stroker in hes 68 coupe. i havea few ?s so i can get him to buy the best head for hes setup.

This is what i know about the motor, has a Coast high performance sroker kit. its a 427 kit with 22cc pistons, but there like dished in, if that makes since. he says the cam is like a 600 lift. thats pretty much all i know. He wanting to go with Dart aluminum heads cause they have them on the CHP website, but id like to see some AFRs on there.

While hes at it hes putting a MSD dizzy, and a 850 cfm holley as well. My Question is what head would yall say to go for, withthe info provided, he want to be running pump gas but make the best hp as possible. also money is no factor, hes as$ is loaded lol.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ask woodsy what he'd use........maybe a tfs high port
Old 12-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

TEA/TFS HP 225cc CNC ported would be a good choice.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:02 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

the engine could use a big port to run its best if that is what he is looking for. Big block CID needs Big Block air even if it is in a small package. What Dart head is he looking at they do have some nice new heads out.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:12 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

its a 351 W which ya'll probly guessed that. Hes looking for the most hp package. The tfs high port what is that.

Not for sure what dart head hes looking at but probly the most expensive one knowing him. he tore down the motor to a short block and measured the pistions to try and figure which one he could run on pump gas.

The heads he had on it was just some stock 351 heads with 1.6 intake and 2.02 exhuast valves. he had to run 111 octane for the car to run right which doesnt make since cause with the stuff he measured hes telling me he had a 9:1 compression. So im thinking something else was wrong but hes switching heads anyways. hes wanting to run pump gas thats he main concern, with the 225 cc tfs, can you run pump gas on a setup like this
Old 12-27-2008, 02:17 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

if i remeber correct it was something along the lines of this head

http://www.coasthigh.com/ProductDeta...Show=TechSpecs
Old 12-27-2008, 02:31 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

TEA High ports stands for Total Engine Airflow the company's name that ports them and High ports is the style head they are. they have raised ports so they call them High Ports. TFS makes them and have been changed some through the years but they started the 5.0 revolution back in the day it is a very serious head and make great power.Summit also sells the High Ports in different port levels so he could look at them also. Could he run them on the street well sure you can run anything on the street he will just need to do some checking on stuff as far as comp. as stuff goes. The Pro1 Darts are also good heads. I would also go with the High ports my self but I am a bit bias as I have a set my self.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:37 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

so i should tell him what ever head he gets needs to be high ports. Srry if i dont make any sense i get kinda lost in the internals of the motor
Old 12-27-2008, 02:52 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

No, I am not saying that tell him to do lots of research and read up a bit to help make a educated decision and to look around about other stuff out there. But Yes I like the TFS stuff but again there are other heads out there. I can not make his mind up for him nor can anyone on this or any other site. Now if he wants to pay me or some of the others for our time then that would be a different story. Sorry to come off like that but I don't believe in telling people what the should run. May be help guide but that is it. he will need to do his own foot work. here is a start http://www.totalengineairflow.com/
Old 12-27-2008, 02:58 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

kool i understand, hes got an account degree so hes been doing a lot of reading. ill see what head he finally picks and let yall know so i can get some advice on them thanks for all the help guys

Quick Reply: 427 stroker help