5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

ECM and injector identification questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:44 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by v8440
Hi all,

I got to rooting around in my '94 cobra
8-4733
0898IG
Originally Posted by Joel5.0
If so, you have a remanufactured Cardone ECM with a part number for 1988-1990 5.0L Mustangs with manual transmission and California Emissions compliant....... or the equivalent to a A9S program code, calibrated for 19# injectors.
I just picked up a used pms by anderson ford motorsports. What I'll probably do is put the original computer back in the car and install the pms.

There is WAY more to what you have than what you are telling us.

From Joels part numbers, you have a Fox ecu in a 94 Cobra.
You NEVER answered the question about the MAF sensor or housing...

Did you buy a PMS for a Fox Mustang or an SN95 Mustang?

Something is goofy in this thread..............
Old 01-24-2009, 08:10 PM
v8440

Originally Posted by dudeboy
There is WAY more to what you have than what you are telling us.

From Joels part numbers, you have a Fox ecu in a 94 Cobra.
You NEVER answered the question about the MAF sensor or housing...

Did you buy a PMS for a Fox Mustang or an SN95 Mustang?

Something is goofy in this thread..............
Ok, I'll try to make this real simple: I have the ECU that I described in my car. If it's a fox body ECU, I find that odd, but I don't know why that ECU is in my car. I only know that it is.

The housing is some sort of chrome aftermarket housing. The sensor now in that housing is a stock sensor I bought from the local ford dealer. They looked it up using the VIN of my car. The car runs worse with it plugged in than it does without any sensor plugged in. I do not think the sensor is bad, but rather that there has been some stuff done to this car of which I'm unaware. The blower kit was installed in 1995 from what I've been told. Nobody that I know how to get in touch with is sure exactly what has been done to the car. The fact that the blower started whining, causing me to take the belt off, certainly can't be helping things. I'd definitely expect that to choke it off on the top end at least.

I bought a pms for a '94-'95 car-the guy I bought it from had it on a '95 with a 418 and an F1 blower. He's running Big Stuff now and didn't need the pms setup.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Ok, I'll try to make this real simple: I have the ECU that I described in my car. If it's a fox body ECU, I find that odd, but I don't know why that ECU is in my car. I only know that it is.

The housing is some sort of chrome aftermarket housing. The sensor now in that housing is a stock sensor I bought from the local ford dealer. They looked it up using the VIN of my car. The car runs worse with it plugged in than it does without any sensor plugged in. I do not think the sensor is bad, but rather that there has been some stuff done to this car of which I'm unaware. The blower kit was installed in 1995 from what I've been told. Nobody that I know how to get in touch with is sure exactly what has been done to the car. The fact that the blower started whining, causing me to take the belt off, certainly can't be helping things. I'd definitely expect that to choke it off on the top end at least.

I bought a pms for a '94-'95 car-the guy I bought it from had it on a '95 with a 418 and an F1 blower. He's running Big Stuff now and didn't need the pms setup.
Like I said... there's more to the story....

My guess, is that the previous owner did a fox ecu conversion on your car.
That isn't a big deal EXCEPT that...
1. your new PMS is useless on the fox ecu, as the wiring pinouts are different.
2. your MAF sensor is wrong for the ecu.... but then again the sensor would have been wrong regardless of the ecu, as it wasn't installed in a STOCK housing. The moment you installed a stock sensor in an aftermarket housing (unless C&L, which is still questionable at best), your combo was fubar...

You have a very odd mismatch of parts , and to be perfectly honest... I'm not sure where to start in sorting it all out.

Post the exact numbers on the MAF sensor, and measure the exact diameter of the housing ID. Pics will make a HUGE difference, as this will help a great deal.

Run a couple of Google searches on the part numbers you found on your ecu...
I don't expect you to find out that Joel is wrong, but you do need to KNOW what you have...
Post pics of the ecu as well.

Before you buy any other parts for this car, you need to find out exactly what you have right now.

jason
Old 01-25-2009, 07:54 AM
v8440

Ok, I can do that. Another ecu came with the car that appears to be the original one for the car. I installed it and the car drove like absolute crap. As in, would barely get over 30 mph, bucking, etc. The check engine light came on after a minute or two. I don't know how to pull codes on one of these, so I just limped it back home and swapped the ecu's back.

I'll try to take pictures today. If not today, then in the next day or two.

By the way, what's the advantage of switching to a fox ecu?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

there is no advantage to swapping to a fox ECU, its a band-aid fix to a tiny problem.

Assuming that you DO have a fox ECM in the car, dont EVER put the stock computer back in. Take the pictures that Jason has asked for and do NOTHING else to your car. I dont want you to take this as an insult, but you clearly don't know enough about the car at this time, to be dabbling with things.... you will only make the situation worse
Old 01-25-2009, 10:52 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

So what are ALL the mods that you know of on the car? Get as many pics of the parts in question and don't tinker with it like adder said. ESPECIALLY since you have a blower on it. Have you had any problems with the car other than the blower whining?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:10 AM
v8440

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
I dont want you to take this as an insult, but you clearly don't know enough about the car at this time, to be dabbling with things.... you will only make the situation worse

You're absolutely right, and no insult taken. This fact is why I'm here asking questions. However, there is one good reason to swap the stock ecu back in, and that is the fact that I now have a pms for that setup. Pictures coming shortly...

Last edited by v8440; 01-25-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:16 AM
v8440

As you can see, the picture of the ecu is out of focus. Though you can't make out the numbers on the label, you can see the general style of ecu. I copied the numbers by hand when I posted them earlier.

Last edited by v8440; 01-25-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

You're absolutely right, and no insult taken. This fact is why I'm here asking questions. However, there is one good reason to swap the stock ecu back in, and that is the fact that I now have a pms for that setup. Pictures coming shortly...
The point we are trying to make is that the ECM pinout between both "generations" of ECM's is different. Compare the 2nd. column vs. the 3rd. one here, and you'll see the differences.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 AM
v8440

Yeah, there's a lot of differences. Is there a 100% sure way I can verify myself if the swap has in fact been done?

Quick Reply: ECM and injector identification questions