5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

ECM and injector identification questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:12 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

FYI, your mass air meter is going the wrong direction!!! It is pointing into the dirction the air is COMMING from and it needs to point into the s/c, where it is GOING.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:19 PM
v8440

Yeah, I know. When I removed the dead sensor that came in the car, I saw that it was apparently a recalibrated stock unit by a company called pro-flow if I remember right. It had no directional arrow on it. Unfortunately, the housing the car has on it will not seal to the inlet and outlet hoses if you reverse the housing to face the sensor correctly. This is just one of what I suspect are many problems I'm gonna correct to get this thing the way I want it.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:21 PM
v8440

Since my car has apparently been converted to use the 88-93 ecu, is it likely the whole wiring harness was changed, or maybe a conversion pigtail of some sort may have been used? If that is the case, would the pigtail be under the carpet or somewhere else?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:50 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Assuming the ecu was swapped, there are wiring harness changes that have been made.
The best way I can think to confirm this is by tracing the wiring harness off the ecu?

The MAF...
You have a stock Ford sensor mounted in an aftermarket housing. This is a problem.
The 'calibration' of your MAF is an unknown... I would be looking for a new sensor/housing setup, but we need to sort out the ecu first so that you know what to buy...
Old 01-25-2009, 12:57 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

You may be able to confirm how your harness is wired, by doing a continuity check on the injectors.
The injector pins were moved between the fox and sn95 cars.

If you disconnect the battery, ecu, and all injectors from the harness then it should be safe to do the continuity check.

If pin 12 runs to injector #3, then you have a fox harness.
If pin 12 runs to injector #6, then you have an sn95 harness.

You could find other pins to check on the comparison sheet Joel attached...

let us know,
jason
Old 01-25-2009, 01:38 PM
v8440

I ended up finding the part number on the label of my ecm on the cardone website, and the application is indeed a california fox car. Also, when I ran the car on that ecm, it had a dead miss on at least a cylinder or two. That would support having the wrong firing order on some injectors.

By the way, which cylinder is what number? I know the gm/chrysler labeling system and firing order cold, but the only thing I know about fords is that it's different from the gm/chrysler setup and there were two different firing orders depending on the year of the engine.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:59 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

1-4 on the left side going in order from front to back and 5-8 on the right side going in order from front to back
Old 01-25-2009, 02:07 PM
v8440

Ok, thanks.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:03 PM
v8440

I just took the passenger seat out so I could get to the ecu wiring better. While I was at it, I also removed the sill plate and kick panel to get a look at the wiring under the carpet.[IMG][/IMG]

This is a better shot of the wiring as it comes to the ecu. I don't know for sure, but it looks like it might be aftermarket to me. Just out from under the carpet is a small aluminum ground strap that's spliced to a black wire that then goes to the ecu.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here you can see the aftermarket fan controller.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is under the carpet where the fan controller wiring joins the other wiring going to/from the ecu.

[IMG][/IMG]

And this is where the wiring goes around through the kick panel area.

These cars came with electric fans, didn't they? And fox bodies did not, right? If so, a swap to the fox ecu would explain the fan controller-the older ecu would have no logic or output to control a fan.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Looks like an aftermarket adapter harness for those types of "conversions"....... IOW... you have a SN95 with a fox ECM setup. BTW.... OEM location for the ECM is behind the kick panel, not under the passenger seat.

Quick Reply: ECM and injector identification questions