5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

to turbo or not to turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:45 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

dont knwo what u mean by hypers.
but sure, DIY
Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

hypernumatic (sp?) pistons and 93+ mustang = not forged

well depends on the stuff you actually buy and how much you are actually fabricating yourself. if you look at my thread "you all wanted to see it" my neighbor is doing a 100% DIY turbo build which he is almost done. he's going to be around 1k in parts when done maybe around 1300ish once he either gets wideband or a tune done.

so a turbo build can be had from 1k and up. most often i hear abuot people spending around 2k on a DIY and if you get a kit, depending from where its goin to be 2500+ just for the kit.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

that stuff is way cheaper than the newer turbo kits lol. a turbo fox has always been a dream build for me.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
hypernumatic (sp?) pistons and 93+ mustang = not forged

well depends on the stuff you actually buy and how much you are actually fabricating yourself. if you look at my thread "you all wanted to see it" my neighbor is doing a 100% DIY turbo build which he is almost done. he's going to be around 1k in parts when done maybe around 1300ish once he either gets wideband or a tune done.

so a turbo build can be had from 1k and up. most often i hear abuot people spending around 2k on a DIY and if you get a kit, depending from where its goin to be 2500+ just for the kit.
I thought they were called Hypereutectic
Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

do one then. if you build everything yourself you can have a turbo + supporting mods all for around 1kish deff less than 1500.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:08 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

I could definitly do it all myself lol. but i can hardly afford food right now. maybe once i graduate. well have to see what happens
Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
I thought they were called Hypereutectic
i dunno. i just say hyper

hyper = children
children = inefficient

so

hyper = inefficiency

therfore

hyper pistons suck

(side note to all you pro hyper piston people. i know there is nothing wrong with them but they have limits just as forged do to too depends on application and use)

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 02-19-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:12 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

hyper = children
children = inefficient

so

hyper = inefficiency

therfore

hyper pistons suck

(side note to all you pro hyper piston people. i know there is nothing wrong with them but they have limits just as forged do to too depends on application and use)
agreed lol
Old 02-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Nobody can be sure what a car will run. When I thought my car out and before I ordered the fisrt part I planned to build a car that would run 10.50's but until it hits the track and dialed in I could either be pleasently surprized or sadly disappointed. I've built enough cars to know it happens both ways. Sometimes it's better sometimes it worse. I built a 461 Cubic inch 69 Chevelle once that I was shooting for low 12's on a very modest build with 78 truck Iron heads with mild porting and a mild solid roller cam (Comp 288 street roller) Performer RPM intake Turbo 400 and 4:10 gears in a 3500 lb car and it busted off an 11.29 @121mph right off the trailer with the carb right out of the box. Then again I've put together some mid 9 second 540 Chevelles that took 20 passes and a lot of trial and error just to get out of the 10's. It can be good, bad or downright ugly. I've seen guys build some of these twin turbo cars and paxton, vortec and other blowers on their street cars and every now and then someone hits up on the right combo and it runs like a rocket. I know more guys who are sadly disappointed with the performance if their turbo car than really truly happy. Most of them can get a good trap speed but in most cases a N/A high power car gets to the mark first. I've been racing a long long time and I've never owned a built Turbo car but I've sure put a boatload of them back on the trailer. I'll take big cubic inches and a well set up car anyday over a finicky turbo car. If I wanted to dyno race I'll hang a couple of hairdryers on mine and pull up on the rollers, lol
Old 02-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

hyper = children
children = inefficient

so

hyper = inefficiency

therfore

hyper pistons suck

What a misconception. In a N/A engine a good set of Keith Black Hyper Pistion will make more power than a set of TRW Forged of the same compression ratio. Get the ring gap right and it's tough to beat. You are buying into a myth created by people who don't know what they are talking about. I ran a 468 Big Block Chevy with a Weiand 6-71 Blower with twin 750 Holleys and 8psi boost for two years on the street with Keith Black Hyper Pistons. When I freshend it up the pistons looked so good I didn't replace them. They are a lot stroger than most people think. Some of the guys who run circle track in "Claimer" cars run Hyper "Claimer Pistons" they are the really really cheap ones and most of them can run 3-4 seasons on the same slugs running the **** out of them every Sat night. In N/A applications that I build "FOR MYSELF" I prefer them over forged. The only reason my 347 has forged is I built it with a shot of Nitrous in mind. AS far as efficiancy goes the Hyper is the better of the two. The only downfall is they don't stand up will to extreme heat or extreme cyl pressure as well as forged and thats where the advantage ends.

Quick Reply: to turbo or not to turbo...