5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

front and rear bumper questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
90Mustang_GT
1st Gear Member

Default front and rear bumper questions

I was wondering since im going to be taking the front bumper cover off for sanding and painting, do i need to order new fasteners, if so does someone one have a complete pack they sell? or can i reuse them. If im going to be putting new headligths in, do i need to remove the bumper cover anyway? My other q is about the rear bumper, the previous owner of my car had a damn hitch on the back installed, im now left with a 2x3 hole in the middle, is this repairable, or is it going to have to be scrapped?
Its a GT so it has the ground effects
-Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 07:52 PM
2Sinful

I am it the same boat as you. Smash the front on my GT. I found that year one had a complete set of fasteners at one time. Never tore into onw before so if you have any advice for me it would be great. Oh ya my mother in law wreck the car not me.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90Mustang_GT
I was wondering since im going to be taking the front bumper cover off for sanding and painting, do i need to order new fasteners, if so does someone one have a complete pack they sell? or can i reuse them. If im going to be putting new headligths in, do i need to remove the bumper cover anyway? My other q is about the rear bumper, the previous owner of my car had a damn hitch on the back installed, im now left with a 2x3 hole in the middle, is this repairable, or is it going to have to be scrapped?
Its a GT so it has the ground effects
-Thanks
Yes you can reuse all the old hardware except for the rivets and those you can get at most hardware stores. They're 3/16 rivets.
If you don't want to reuse any of the old bolts or screws you can get a complete kit fro LRS

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

No you don't have to remove the bumper cover to install new headlights.

As for the rear GT bumper it might be repairable but for just about the same cost you could probably get a used one and have it painted.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2Sinful
I am it the same boat as you. Smash the front on my GT. I found that year one had a complete set of fasteners at one time. Never tore into onw before so if you have any advice for me it would be great. Oh ya my mother in law wreck the car not me.
This should give you a real good idea of every nut, bolt, screw and rivet you'll need to remove to remove the front bumper cove.