5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

what cam would yall suggest

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Well before you go (and not everyone here is a dick) here is my recomendation for a cam for your car. Comp Cams 31-671-4

Duration @ .50 is 225/232
Lift is 495/495
Lobe seperation is 112

It is a Mechanical flat tappet and cost all of 139 dollars though Summit Racing. You will have to have the matching lifters which are all of about 80 dollars amd matching Valve springs (also very resonable) and if your E7 heads have a good porting will allow the engine to reach 7000+ rpm on a 302. Don't discount the power making ability of flat tappet cams. There were many factory engines that made big power and big rpm back in the day with mechanical flat tappet cams. There are still classes that require flat tappet cams and some of them are running in the low 9's. Hyd roller cams are not the best performers out there. The only advantage they have is it gives you a nice smooth agressive profile without constant adjustment to the valve train but it has it's big downfall as well. It's RPM limited because Hyd roller lifters are heavy and Valve float comes early. Dollar for dollar mechanical flat tappet cams deliver the goods better than anything else. The only thing with running a flat tappet mechanical cam is you need to run oil that has high levels of Zink and Phosphrous in them or put about a half pint of Comp or Redline break-in lube in with each oil change.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:51 AM
racelikustolit3k

PORT thank you very much.. I am not refering to everyone in general as a dick. But it just sems that all forums except RJ will turn into huge pissing contest, and guys would rather bitch than give advice.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:54 AM
racelikustolit3k

also do you think one of the BARE BONES cam kits form lunati power will work thanks again
Old 05-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

There is a lot of helpful knowledge here if you can look past those few people who think they know it all. Some will fool you with overwording a simple question, those that will blast you for trying to work on a budget and those who are just plain mean. There are people here who comment and pass judgememt on parts just because they heard it on another forum or from a friend of a friend of a friends cousin who saw the part in a catalog. Stick around and you can figure those people out and look past them. Just be careful with your wording because the Moderators can become instigators and the forum rules don't apply to everyone. Look past the BS and obtain the information you need, post your progress and questions and you'll be fine. It won't take long to figure it out that some here arn't very nice but for every ******** there are about 50 really nice people. I've been on some peoples chit list from my very first post here. The problem with internet forums is that the techno babble outweighs real life experiance. It's easy to armchair quarterback a game and quite another to get out and play the game. It won't take long to figure out who's who.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by racelikustolit3k
also do you think one of the BARE BONES cam kits form lunati power will work thanks again
The 11202LK looks OK
Old 05-26-2009, 08:55 AM
racelikustolit3k

sweet that was the cam I really wanted to use. thanks for the help PORT
Old 05-26-2009, 08:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Portmaster
There is a lot of helpful knowledge here if you can look past those few people who think they know it all. Some will fool you with overwording a simple question, those that will blast you for trying to work on a budget and those who are just plain mean. There are people here who comment and pass judgememt on parts just because they heard it on another forum or from a friend of a friend of a friends cousin who saw the part in a catalog. Stick around and you can figure those people out and look past them. Just be careful with your wording because the Moderators can become instigators and the forum rules don't apply to everyone. Look past the BS and obtain the information you need, post your progress and questions and you'll be fine. It won't take long to figure it out that some here arn't very nice but for every ******** there are about 50 really nice people. I've been on some peoples chit list from my very first post here. The problem with internet forums is that the techno babble outweighs real life experiance. It's easy to armchair quarterback a game and quite another to get out and play the game. It won't take long to figure out who's who.
KEEP IT UP PORTMASTER.....One more post like this, even though you don't name the people I know whom you are refering to.........either way enough!! or PA will be your next step.....This thread is done as it's full of complete FAIL!! AS WELL as an attempt to call certain members out....sorry OP.

Last edited by mjr46; 05-26-2009 at 08:12 PM.