5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Another get to know ya thread....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:55 AM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
sweet!! jet drive!!! did it have a place diverter on it?? meaning did it shoot the rooster tail up in the air?? my Dad sold his Taylor SS last year and I was sad to see it go i'D OFTEN HEAD OVER TO HIS PLACE IN THE EVENINGS after work for a quick ride in it, it was jet drive and had a 383 stroker in it and was cammed up and loud and fast..we'd loose track of the speed at 60 mph as the speedo would start bouncing as the boat hopped across the water
O ya she sends up a pretty mean tail. The acceleration is awesome, throws ya right back. It's nice on the water though, cause you can go as fast and where you want without worry of getting caught or tickets. Plus having the jet, and a flat haul it only needs 3 inches of water. Gotta love ramping through the swamps
Old 06-30-2009, 10:15 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

could you take a old metal boat for fishing and convert it or use it as a mold for a jet boat? its like a 15 footer IIRC.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:27 AM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Yup. You would need to strip the inside down to the haul and sand away all imperfections; get everything straight and smooth. Then you would cover the entire inside with wax and if it was me I would lay down a layer of gelcoat (transferable paint mainly used for saltwater vessels) afterwards, you'd lay a small coat of resin then start laying fiber glass. Make sure to use a steel roller inbetween layers to get the air out and if you need to stop for a period of time, of which the fiberglass hardens, you'll need to take a grinder and "roughen" it up so the new layers of glass will stick properly. I always keep a jug of acetone near by because it's a great cleaning agent. And trust me, fiberglass gets messy! Let the glass cure for a 3-4 days then with a li'l coaxing it should "pop" right out of your mold, with it, a nice painted (gelcoat) finish.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:35 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i fiberglass a lot so i understand very well how to work it. just curious if i could use an old tin boat to make a mould for a speed boat, something i've always wanted to do. is that 15ft boat a good size or too small? do you know a good place to get those converter deals for the jet parts? do i need to have a top layer at the front of the boat like you have for stability/fuel tank storage n such?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 AM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, you would have to fabricate a pattern in order to create a closed bow and trust me you'll need a windshield. Plus depending on the weight transfer of the boat you might possibly have to keep your fuel tanks in there to plane off correctly. But that's all trial and error. You'll have to put the boat in the water and see where the water line is and how she sits at idle plus get an idea of her reaction at throttle. If the nose isn't rising enough put the tanks in the rear (at which point you'll have a great storage area in the bow) . If the nose is way up and you don't have much control, put umm in front. I've got a buddy that's got one 15x7 1/2 with a 350 chev; goes like a bat-atta-hell.

Only problem is that on a normal fishing boat you'll have a v-bottom which won't work with a jet. You'll need to cut it out and make it flat so you can plane off, otherwise you'd just go in circles at throttle.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:14 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

could you make a false floor for molding purposes i assume? how deep is your boat? from the floor up.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:14 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Yes you could, and mine is approximately 5 1/2 feet from ground to side rail but using my friends boat for-instance, his is only about 3 foot.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 PM
86_GT_Mustang
5th Gear Member

the mustang truck contour and boat. And damn planes. Not that i own one just fly. But cost money
Old 06-30-2009, 07:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by cch
O ya she sends up a pretty mean tail. The acceleration is awesome, throws ya right back. It's nice on the water though, cause you can go as fast and where you want without worry of getting caught or tickets. Plus having the jet, and a flat haul it only needs 3 inches of water. Gotta love ramping through the swamps
yeah we'd shoot up through the rapids in certain spots and often the water was less than a foot deep, which meant hammer it harder to get it up on a plane
Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94UIsVMHisg

Quick Reply: Another get to know ya thread....