5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Should I buy this mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 AM
notwise
1st Gear Member

Default Should I buy this mustang?

Hello!!

This is my first post here. I don't own a mustang yet, but have wanted one for a long time. I am looking at getting an 87-93 style fox body. I found one on Kijiji, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about it. It seems a little pricey to me, but I am unsure as there seems to be quite a bit of work done to the car. Check it!!

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ139246606

Does it seem like a decent deal? Should I offer less? Thanks for any help.. I can't wait to get a Mustang, but I don't want to get ripped in the process, thanks again..

A
Old 07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

If he put 4 grand in a paint job, it could be getting close to 9500.

I am wondering how in the world he mounted the ignition box by the ac compressor?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 AM
90_Mustang_GT
2nd Gear Member

No way not even close. Keep looking, although not a bad ride, 9500 is high. From what the list says, doesnt say that theres much done to the car. There are tons of them around with way more done and half that price. If you were to get a cobra, id keep it stock, those are hard to come by, and worth alot more later on, if kept original.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:10 PM
MaxEvian
1st Gear Member

He has probably been racing with it. Is this an adult or a kid that is selling it? That is a lot of money for a GT! The engine is nice but it has a lot of miles on it. It is probably worth about $5500-$6000 depending on if it has rust or not. You have to take a close look at the undercarriage. I was out recently looking for my 7th Mustang and I found several that looked great from above. Once I got underneath it was another story. One owner didn't believe me that his car was ready for the junk yard. The surrounding engine supports were rotted through. I really don't know what kept the engine from falling out. I tend to avoid convertibles and mustangs with sunroof. They tend to leak. IF you can lift the rug up you will find that the rug and floor have become one. Well, that is my experience so far. Keep searching. Craiglists is a great source for reasonably priced muscle cars. Happy hunting!
Now if you really want it take 7k and make him an offer of 7k show him the money, if he saids no walk away slowly while putting you money back in your pocket. If he is desperate for a quick sale he will let you have it. No one likes to see that much money walking away from them :-)

Last edited by MaxEvian; 07-16-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:13 PM
notwise
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if its a kid or an adult selling it. If I do head out there for a look, I will definitely check underneath for rust. I was thinking that I wouldn't go any higher than 7000 for it.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:18 PM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

Does seem a little high.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:30 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I would think 6 is fair if the car has not been demolished in a wreck. Don't be afraid to run the hell out of it at high speeds to find vibration.

I still think you would come out better if it had aluminum heads. I assume it does if it is putting down 384 at the wheels on a safe tune. Or it is running a lot of boost. Make sure to check the front and rear seals for leaks. They tend to pop out in higher boosted applications without proper crankcase ventilation.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 07-16-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:09 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Ya, I would def negotiate w him her about the price. $9500 is high, but you must consider the fact that there is a supercharger installed , and if its a nice car it may be worth $7k -8K... Am I wrong in thinking this? Superchargers are a couple grand by themselves...............

What is the mileage converted from kilometers, anyone??
Old 07-16-2009, 03:12 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

a few things to look at:
-paint
-rust?
-interior condition - seats, plastics, power door locks etc
-check the torque boxes
-cleanliness of underbody and engine bay
-professionalism of installed components like ignition
-how does it start up and run
Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 PM
notwise
1st Gear Member

Well, I had a look at the car. It started up great and ran well. Its going to need a paint job, but doesn't look bad as there are just a few blemishes. There is a pretty major one on the front that you can see in one of the pictures, but there's no real body damage or anything like that. It was really awkward to shift gears, and the owner said something about set screws for the short throw shifter that need to be adjusted. That kind of worries me because I would hate to buy it and find out it is a larger problem.

The 380hp is being produced with 4psi boost, although there was no boost gauge. He said it did 12.1 on the quarter mile at approx 115mph. There was about 10000 invested with receipts to show.

Its really fast and looks pretty sweet, but the awkward shifting and blemished paint are throwing me off. I'm gonna sleep on it and maybe offer 6000 tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the tips on what to look for.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this mustang?