5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Well after eight month's. The 'vert is bottle fed once again. (a VERY long read)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default Well after eight month's. The 'vert is bottle fed once again. (a VERY long read)

At the beginning of the month i was itching like a crack addict to use the bottle again. Paranoia set in. Reminding me of the more bad time's then good ive had on the bottle. But I ITCH, I ITCH for MOAR power!!

so buttoned the kit up again. almost re-wired it all (engine bay atleast) found my purge 'noid had failed, but now i got my nitrous gauge is working, where before i never could figure out how to hook it up.

So today i took the plunge. Yesterday i had checked and re-checked everything. Today i dropped the timing to a modest 7-8 degrees base.

while installing the 100shot jet's i dropped the fuel jet (33) somewhere in the engine bay. and 30min later of feeling all over, and such, i figure its lost.

So i installed the 75shot jet's.

Re-checked my timing for the 3rd time. Went over everything. Bottle was holding 1200 PSI for some reason, purged it a little through the system to get it down. and went driving.

I hit it first in 3rd gear three time's for just a split second to "purge" the system more, just to be sure i had fuel and nitrous ready to go. no gap's. no goof up's.

Roll into second gear. 3krpm and slamed it, not super impressed. So i did it again, this time first, second gear. that was a good pull. felt like a 100shot with the automatic.

ran about a dozen more pulls. only two or three pulls where i went through the gears. One good pull where i upped the pressure from 900 to just over 1000 it felt GOOOOOOD. got up to 75mph in a flash.

Had me itching to see what 100 feel's like. but the next jet i have is 31. and NX call's for 33. IDK if thats to small of a jet to move down too. But i have the 255lb "high pressure" fuel pump, so it might be possible to run a 31 fuel jet and be ok???? what do you guys think?

The rest is just my experience's with nitrous. its a LONG read, but i felt like writing it up as it's been on my mind all month, and figured some people might find it interesting.

Ill be shooting a video over the next few day's of a good pull with the 75 shot. so look forward to that

*warning long read*

My experience so far on the bottle.
Well not many people know, but I first got nitrous for the sole reson to run faster at the track. Here at just under 5,000 FT elevation we run ALOT slower. most time's more then a second and a half then something at sea level of the same exact build.

The bottle helped me run a full two seconds faster on a 50shot. No, no typo at all.

anyway. just two weeks after installing the kit on the car, i had a GNARLY backfire, blew a couple intake gaskets, and made some nasty things happen.

popped vaccum tree

screwed filter

random tear down pictures. Notice the burnt hood liner from the backfire

Then a local guy heard of what i was doing and told me about a local guy that works out of his garage that could hot tank the heads for me, and inspect them for cheap. So i pulled the heads.

He inspected the head's. Found that the valve springs where stock, and very worn out. Two bent intake valves. and ALL of the exhaust valves where pitted badly. he also offered to port & Polish the heads for $300 so i gave him the go ahead.

this is the only quality picture i have of the "after"
(valve springs are 110lb beehive comp cam's)

Got the car buttoned back up. Tran's was slipping pretty bad, but car pulled harder in the upper RPM's so i went to the track........... I ran the same as before.... and on most the run's ran two tenth's slower. So i hooked up the 50shot, and ran 2 hole seconds quicker!

on the last run the nitrous was cutting in and out, and when i stopped to pick up my time slip the car would barley stay alive. I limped the car home, but there was an obvious vacuum leak.

tore the intake off, and found the gaskets where perfect, but one of the plug's on the back of my intake had backed its self out. big hole in its place.

Afterword i decided to put the car on the dyno, proud of my new ET on just a 50shot.

On a 100shot it only picked 71 horsepower and 98 TRQ up on a 150 shot i only gained 96 horse, and 139 TRQ

On the dyno we ran about 3 100shot runs, and 4 150 shot run's.

on the way home it was very noticeable that we just cooked my AOD transmission. The car was still drivable, but almost felt like it had a fried clutch (in a 5speed) because at full throttle it would slip, and act all crazy.

I decided it would be best to retire the bottle for a while. This was in September. In the end of September certain thing's happen here at 5000ft elevation in the mountains.

Fast forward to February (when the weather would give us a window) And i have gathered my part's for the swap to a Cobra T5.
(buddy blew this with a 400horse 600torque turboed fox, used it as my core, got it for free.)

Swapped in the Promotion Powertrain Cobra T5. and what a difference. The car felt like a 50shot was going through it non-stop with the added power that the AOD was sucking up, and even on top of that, slipping like crazy.

So ive enjoyed the car now for 5 month's because it's putting out good power with the 5speed swap and a few more bolt ons seance the AOD (mark 8 fan, headers, aluminum driveshaft, and a few other things)

But now it's time to play with the bottle once more.

Let's just hope this time it goes better for me

thanks for reading guy's.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Get the correct jet, run the 100 shot and get us some times.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:56 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
Get the correct jet, run the 100 shot and get us some times.
I will be going to the track with the 100shot. soon i hope. but even then its not going to be that impressive of a time with a DA of 7000 on a GOOD day. most day's in the upper 7000 DA.

thanks for reading.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:27 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i love reading stories like this....

which reminds me...i was gonna make a slide show for my car.

have you named your mustang, robert?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:32 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
i love reading stories like this....

which reminds me...i was gonna make a slide show for my car.

have you named your mustang, robert?
Yea i do to. I like to read about ppl overcoming issue's and building there car up too.

Nah, never had a thing for naming stuff.

I called it "Grandpa" for a while, because it's old, fall's apart and need's all kinds of stuff replaced lol.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

So did you build a display case for that air filter or put it on your mantle or something? You could always put it next to one that wasn't halfway blown to smithereens and have it say "This is your air filter, this is your air filter on N2O". Carnage ftw.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicBlueFiveSlow
So did you build a display case for that air filter or put it on your mantle or something? You could always put it next to one that wasn't halfway blown to smithereens and have it say "This is your air filter, this is your air filter on N2O". Carnage ftw.
haha, nah, it's still on the car!

they want $40 for a new filter, and this one has no holes. So i used the K&N cleaning kit on it, and straitening it back out. and it still work's great.

just look's funneh. lol.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

next time I want to see the air filter blow the head light out of the car
Old 07-22-2009, 10:30 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

if it had been a cobalt you would have blown the whole front end of the car of its mounting brackets and split your intake manifold.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:16 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Nice to hear you got the bottle back up. Now that I look at those springs I need to test the ones that were on my old heads bc they looked new and IDK if the previous owner ever put better springs in when he did the cam swap. That is the only thing keeping me from wanting to buy my springs now.

This is what you need to get how. lol
http://www.hartracing.com/sales.htm

Quick Reply: Well after eight month's. The 'vert is bottle fed once again. (a VERY long read)