5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

power loss at 4k

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:54 PM
orions_knight
2nd Gear Member

Default power loss at 4k

hey MF! i just bouoght a fox yesterday and i took her out for a lil spin to see what it was all about. good stock power i guess (but not near enough ) but anyway, when i floor it, it pulls until 4k RPM then it completely drops off! wtf?! i just wanna know whats going on...maybe not a problem per se but i am curious why there is such a steep decline in power. lemme know guys thanks!!
Old 07-24-2009, 03:12 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

If you just bought it, put a fuel filter on it.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:48 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

do a few simple things like fuel filter ect.

but usually thats a symptom of valve float of what you're having.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:10 PM
STEER94GT

Originally Posted by orions_knight
hey MF! i just bouoght a fox yesterday and i took her out for a lil spin to see what it was all about. good stock power i guess (but not near enough ) but anyway, when i floor it, it pulls until 4k RPM then it completely drops off! wtf?! i just wanna know whats going on...maybe not a problem per se but i am curious why there is such a steep decline in power. lemme know guys thanks!!
sounds to me like the TP sensor is bad. I had that problem and it almost sounds like that.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^^^^^^^.....there alot of things that'll cause that and generate such symptoms, Op run a koer test and look for codes, if none come up, run a fp test with a gauge and if that yields nothing, after thatif your car has a maf try cleaning it
Old 07-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Cleeman99
3rd Gear Member

i agree with mjr
Old 07-25-2009, 09:49 AM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

My car was doing the same thing a few months back and a simple tune up fixed it. Cap rotor, plugs, wires, and a new coil for giggles.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 PM
orions_knight
2nd Gear Member

"Op run a koer test and look for codes, if none come up, run a fp test with a gauge"
"after that if your car has a maf try cleaning it "

sry u lost me there. koer? fp? im assuming u mean hook an OBD reader to it for codes then do a fuel pressure test? as for cleaning the MAF, ive heard just hit the wire inside with some brake cleaner, dont actually touch it. is that right?

awesome guys thanks. i just moved so didnt have internet, sry this response is so delayed. i am going to do plugs, wires, cap rotor, coil, oil change, trans flush, fuel filter, suspension lube, regluing the damn rearview mirror on!!, all in progress,
ill let u guys know if that does it.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:41 PM
orions_knight
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
do a few simple things like fuel filter ect.

but usually thats a symptom of valve float of what you're having.
whoa! u scared me with all that jazz.....could u break that down for me. lol does this make the car unsafe to drive as far as the engine is concerned? is it normal? come on lemme get some answers from your freaky as avatar. lmao
Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

my car would top out at 5200 with the stopped up fuel filter. I don't see how one could be stopped up worse than mine was and still run.

Quick Reply: power loss at 4k