5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

MSD Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:32 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Default MSD Box

Well it looks like my 6AL box quit working it doesnt have many miles on it but is out of warranty. It worked fine before i did my head swap then when I went to fire it the car had no spark I bypassed the box and I had spark. It has power and ground I checked all connections. Anyone else have any problems with these or any idea what could be wrong
Old 10-13-2009, 04:44 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

i've done some reading on the subject, and it appears that MSD boxes like to blow transistors at heavy voltages. If you ran a shop style battery charger and set it on Fast Charge, you probably toasted a couple transistors inside the box, as most chargers with this setting will typically throw out 20V~. There are plenty of places that take these apart and repair them. Try craigslist.

Also check your spark plug wires packaging. Make sure that they are Magnetic Suppression Wire, and not Resistor wire. Very key.

For all you MSD users out there, disconnect your battery before charging on any external charging source.

Last edited by mattdel; 10-13-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:01 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

This is taken from a reputable MSD repair facility in North Carolina:

For the Racer who feels they have a failed MSDŽIgnition, there is a simple test that TechWest Racing Services can walk you through to confirm a true failure of your MSDŽIgnition.

First you will need a Volt/Ohm meter (this check can be performed with an analog or digital meter as well). The type of meter will not change the outcome of the test performed. Set your volt/ohm meter on the 1k ohms scale, then position the MSDŽIgnition in approximately the same orientation as mounted in the vehicle. This is done to ensure that the MSDŽIgnition is relatively in the same position as when the failure occurred. Next take either lead and attach it to a bare metal area on the MSDŽIgnition. The second lead needs to be hooked to the Large Red wire that provides your main 12vdc input. In an Undamaged MSDŽIgnition the needle will stay in the home position (ie. max Ohms for scale chosen). A Damaged MSDŽIgnition will show a reading of 3k ohms or lower.

The readings mentioned above are the result of our experience with repairing customers MSDŽIgnition systems. If you plan on testing your MSDŽIgnition while it is still mounted in your vehicle PLEASE remove the LARGE RED wire (ie. main 12vdc). Failure to do this will result in possibly damaging your meter while performing this test on your MSDŽIgnition.