5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

c clips vs c clip eliminators

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default c clips vs c clip eliminators

hey guys, I have a few questions about C clips and C clip eliminators.

I am in no position to upgrade the fox right now, but this info will help me ensure I buy the right parts in the future

first, where are the C clips located in the rear end?

how do C clip eliminators work?

Which one is not allowed in NHRA events?

what will be best for a car that will mostly be on the street, and rarely see the track?

do I have to buy specific axles for C clips vs c clip eliminators

will either work with a rear disc brake setup?

I heard one type can cause the axle to walk out of the housing? is this true?

do I have to modify the axle housing with C clip eliminators?

thanks guys, I save all the threads I make in this section so I have a little guide book to go by when ordering parts/working on the car
Old 01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by Shelty
hey guys, I have a few questions about C clips and C clip eliminators.

I am in no position to upgrade the fox right now, but this info will help me ensure I buy the right parts in the future

first, where are the C clips located in the rear end?
The are in the diff where the axles go through the side gears

how do C clip eliminators work?
The axle is pressed into the eliminator, like a ford 9" set up if you're familiar.

Which one is not allowed in NHRA events?
No idea

what will be best for a car that will mostly be on the street, and rarely see the track?
The stock c-clip set up.

do I have to buy specific axles for C clips vs c clip eliminators
Nope, same axles will work w/ either

will either work with a rear disc brake setup?
I have heard that the eliminators will not work w/ rear disk.

I heard one type can cause the axle to walk out of the housing? is this true?
It can happen, anything is possible

do I have to modify the axle housing with C clip eliminators?
Yes and if you don't do it right they will leak and you could ruin the housing.

thanks guys, I save all the threads I make in this section so I have a little guide book to go by when ordering parts/working on the car
Bill your best bet would be to have 9" housing ends put on your rear if you wanna do it right. JMO though

Last edited by PRO50SC; 01-21-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

^^^+1 Pro basically summed it up there.

Last edited by Chadwick86; 01-21-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: arrow dealies..
Old 01-21-2010, 04:56 PM
raftdaddy
2nd Gear Member

c clip elim's will not let your axels turn at diffrent speeds when cornering.hard on diff and tires.i was told it has to see more strip than street to make it justifiable
Old 01-21-2010, 06:20 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

C clip elims let the rear end work the same as a c clip setup. The only difference is whether the axles are held in place by a c clip, or a bearing with a retainer that's pressed in place. All the old Ford 8 and 9 rears were non c clip.

C clip setups can cause the axles to walk in and out of the housing some, but that's normal and there is a tolerance range. That MAY be a problem on a road course/autox though if you're at the limit of the allowable tolerance, since it can cause the rear wheels to walk back and forth and will change the rear wheel tracking when you corner, which may or may not effect the vehicles handling(depending on the extent of walk and how the suspension is set up).

You can get brake kits that will work with c clip elim setups, but the reality like was said, if you're going to see very little track time, it's not worth the hassle and investment.

The primary advantage to a non c clip, is in the event of an axle breaking, it doesn't come out of the car(along with your wheel).
Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by raftdaddy
c clip elim's will not let your axels turn at diffrent speeds when cornering.hard on diff and tires.i was told it has to see more strip than street to make it justifiable
LOL you was told wrong..

C-Clip eliminators eliminate the C-Clips that retain the axles in the tubs. if the axle brakes half way down the shaft with clips it can allow the wheel and axle to come out of the axle housing. Buy put eliminators on the axle which are pressed on the end axle and then the eliminators bolt to the housing so if the axle brakes it will stay in the housing and not fall out. the eliminator take place of the factory bearings

like said the 9in ends are the best way to go but can get $$ at some places. I have a set of strange eliminators on our street car though with there 33 spline axles and they use a bigger bearing made for the street and work very well and I have a set of Moser on my other car if I had to do it again strange would be on both cars. You will hear the ends leak but I have yet to have a issue with them after 2 years of street driving and a friend has had no issues with his after 6 years. Yes you can run rear disc with the Mosers not real sure about the strange I didnt look into it. after a 10.99 I think you need to move up to C-Clip eliminators I think is the time. NHRA and IHRA rules. You will need to cut 1/4 off the ends of the housing if I remember right just take your time and make sure it is a straight cut. if you go with the 9 ends you should have the housing straightened while you are doing it also.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

thanks guys. I highly doubt this car will see 10 second times, dont think I can get that out of the 306 I plan on building with an HCI and a Kenne bell.... while retaining A/C, cruise, full interior and possibly my smog (depending where I move and live after I graduate)

I do appreciate the info and helping me build the car I have dreamed up in my head.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:31 AM
68CSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Im in the same boat kind-of. Im switching to 31 spline and 4.88's, and Ive been reading and reading about which eliminators leak, etc. It seems that Strange and Moser have both worked well and been leak-free for alot of people.