5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Time consuming/stupid things you have done in search of horse power?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 03:57 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default Time consuming/stupid things you have done in search of horse power?

I thought this might be a good discussion.

What stupid, or time consuming things have you done in the search of horse power? I do not mean, head/cam swaps, I mean off the wall, kinda abnormal things?

I thought of this thread today when I was taking the dremel to my new exhaust gaskets to removed the 5cm of gasket that would have hung into the path of exhaust flow.

I myself have also ported the welds inside the headers during my recent build, because they stuck into the path of exhaust flow, ported a tiny bit of over hang in the intake manifold, and smoothed out some flash in the upper/lower intake also.

So share some stuff you have done, be creative! I would like to see this thread be a good conversation.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Lots of wax ie I slide through the air for seemingly increased hp
Old 03-19-2010, 06:19 AM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

The funny thing is Ive heard someone say they always wash there car and hand dry it before they go to the track.....ha.But I too have cut gaskets a ported the intake openings a little bit.....is it worth it???I dunno...makes me feel better.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:41 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I have seen people at the track with the coolant lines on the throttle body spacer plumbed to the windshield wiper reservoir loaded with ice water.

I doubt it helps much but whatever
Old 03-19-2010, 06:52 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
I have seen people at the track with the coolant lines on the throttle body spacer plumbed to the windshield wiper reservoir loaded with ice water.

haha, thats to funny.

has already been disproven. when the car is below 160* coolant temp, the computer dumps more fuel, and i think it messes with the fuel tables and you make less power.

IDK, then again, ive seen dyno's where the OIL was hot, and coolant temp low, and the cars made more power.

unless you mean they plumb it so the washer fluid only flow's through there. If so, that would work for a bit of power, kinda like setting a ice bag on your intake manifold.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:21 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

I bring a dyno fan 2 blue blowers and one old *** shop fan to cool the car down between rounds I run the blue blowers directly on the blower and the dyno fan on the car.

Seen guys wax their cars before going which I think in a way could pay off (in .0001 lol) it would cut down on a small amount of air friction.

I removed flash from my exhaust as well when I had my turn downs put on because of my ARB they had a ton of flash in them that i ground off.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:25 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by TrimDrip

SEEMS EASIER/quicker and more effective to just put a bag of ice on the intake
Old 03-19-2010, 10:34 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

i spent like and hour and a half making sure the metal part of my CAI was RIGHT up against my TB...

i thought that the slight difference in ID between the metal and the rubber and then the TB again would take a few HP away...

and i would know nothing about the washer fluid in the TB...

never even heard of it...
Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Not really for power but when in phoenix on my buddies car i pulled the windshield wipers and folded the mirrors in. I've pulled my passenger seat out for the track
Old 03-19-2010, 01:48 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I think it is funny to see people with their doors at the track without panels on them.

Quick Reply: Time consuming/stupid things you have done in search of horse power?