5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Carb Issues ? (opinions needed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Explosive

Default Carb Issues ? (opinions needed)

So on the car, ever since we finished the build. It runs good, but in the lower rpms there is a spot where it kind of studders, It's a very small range of like 200 rpms and it's down low but say you're cruising at a low rpm, and get on it, the motor starts to rev, hits that spot, kind of stumbles then the power comes on strong as hell.

Also, lets say you get it on it pretty good, shift through the gears, then clutch. The engine will sometimes fall very low, like 400 or less rpms, almost stall but just barley come back up to idle real fast. But sometimes it wont catch itself and it will stall.

We're running a Holley 670 street avenger, it has backfired a couple times. and i've heard it shoot fuel out the carb when it's almost stalled, usually I can keep it from stalling if I flutter the pedal a bit when it gets down real low in the rpms. Seems like it's running rich and flooding out sometimes.

Here's a vid from a few weeks back, it gets cut off a bit at the end, but you can see it studders and stalls at the end of the burnout. does the same at times like I said when you get on it hard and try to let off suddenly. Doing that seems to make it want to stall.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...rnoutStall.flv

Looking for opinions here. Carb has been tinkered with a few times by a few people. We have one of those triangle shaped edelbrock pro flo filters on it right now, with the foam filter. Which has been burnt by the backfire before. I'm wondering if a piece could be in the carb. And the motor was warmed up before that burnout.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Explosive

It didn't post all that I had typed.... running an edelbrock pro flo air filter, the triangle mesh one with the foam filter element junk. It's been burn by backfire before. Kind of wondering if some bits of that could have found a way into the carb. But it's been like this since we finished it. I'd like to get the stumble issue resolved then have it dynoed.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:32 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

i suck at carbs. I would think a float is stuck.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:06 AM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

If it backfired its more than likely you blew the powervalves in the carb,Id take it apart clean it up and check the valves.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Explosive

Originally Posted by holyshift
If it backfired its more than likely you blew the powervalves in the carb,Id take it apart clean it up and check the valves.
I have heard of the power valve issues before. But this is all over holleys tech info when I started looking into that. As it was one of the first things I thought of.

Thoughts ?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:23 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Id say replace the burned filter first off. But sounds like its jetted to rich right now maybe back of a jet or 2 on the primary's and then up the secondaries 1 jet to compensate
Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 AM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

^^what he said,also get rid of that air cleaner,everyone I know that ran it sucked the styrofoam right into the carb....not good.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Explosive

I'll have to look into rejetting. And yea, that filter element is garbage.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

check this out and see if it is any help

http://www.barrygrant.com/demon/default.aspx?page=28
Old 03-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Explosive

Thats a cool chart. But I have two of the issues on there. One saids lower float level, other says raise it. lol

Quick Reply: Carb Issues ? (opinions needed)