5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

ac question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:30 PM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

Default ac question

my 94 mustang gt blows hot air when the AC is on. the condenser doesnt make noise so im assuming it works but just needs to be recharged. im just curious if someone could tell me what recharge kit to buy. it should take the 134a correct?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:48 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

yeah, you are correct. It may not hurt to buy some with dye in it. That way if it leaks, you will know where it is coming from.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:51 PM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
yeah, you are correct. It may not hurt to buy some with dye in it. That way if it leaks, you will know where it is coming from.
sweeeeet thanks a lot
Old 04-02-2010, 06:58 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

glad to help
Old 04-02-2010, 08:29 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

If it has to be recharged it already leaks. Go to autozone or any of the other parts stores look for the do it yourself cans of refridgerant with the guage. There should be a temp/pressure chart printed on the can or in the instructions. Pay attention to the chart because you can overcharge and damage the system. There is a pressure switch on system that protects compressor from damage when there is a low refrigerant issue. Depending how low it is you may have to add some before compressor turns on. Make sure car is running and a/c is turned on while adding and keep an eye on the gauge. When compressor kicks on add a little at a time until you reach the pressure stated for the temperature. good luck
Old 04-02-2010, 08:33 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Also the condensor doesn't make noise. The condensor is the coil in front of your radiator. The clicking that you do not hear is the clutch on the compressor engaging
Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

What you need to do is turn the a/c on and see if the compressor clutch is spinning or not. If not then you need to check for voltage at the connector. There are many different things that can be wrong with an a/c system and it can be confusing if you don't know what your talking about.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:36 PM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
What you need to do is turn the a/c on and see if the compressor clutch is spinning or not. If not then you need to check for voltage at the connector. There are many different things that can be wrong with an a/c system and it can be confusing if you don't know what your talking about.
yea i dont know very much i remember last year when i tried it something would kick on for a couple secs then kick back off,and the rpms would jump when it kicked on
Old 04-02-2010, 09:36 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

They have you on the right path. It may just be a bad relay and the ac not need anything.

If it is completely drained of refrigerant, I would pull he orifice to see what is going on before I added anything to it.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by lehrskee
yea i dont know very much i remember last year when i tried it something would kick on for a couple secs then kick back off,and the rpms would jump when it kicked on

This usually is a low pressure switch kicking the compressor off. That means that it does need a recharge and checked for leaks.

Quick Reply: ac question