5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

stroker questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:12 PM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

Default stroker questions

i want to get a 347 stroker and redo my motor over this coming winter. i dont know how to do any of it myself so it will be going to a machine shop. try not to be too hard on me if i ask some stupid questions. if i buy a 347 stroker kit, and a good h/c/i combo can i take it to the shop and have them do the rest or will i need more than just that. also what else will i need to upgrade the stock tranny, injectors, fuel pump etc.. ? im not looking to make 500hp or anything like that i would be happy with around 350 since it is still gonna be my daily driver. any idea how much i will be looking to spend on parts and labor from start to end? thanks
Old 04-23-2010, 08:43 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

To start with, forget the idea of having your motor rebuilt/stroked. By the time you buy new parts, pay for machine work, and assembly, you'll have spent a big ichunk of change. Don't forget that you'll need new heads to the feed the new engine. Stock heads will just choke it, and you'll be very disappointed with the results.

Take a look at readily available crate motors. They come in variable levels of completness, depending on what you want and are willing to pay for. You'll be time and money ahead.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

just have this guy do it www.fordstrokers.com
Old 04-23-2010, 10:21 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
just have this guy do it www.fordstrokers.com

+1, most if not all crate motors are way over priced
Old 04-23-2010, 10:50 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

5 year ago I had 1700 in a 393 shortblock without a cam using my old stock rods. I got a deal on the prepped block for 125 from the builder. I imagine someone never did come pick it up. Anyways, that would have probably been around 2 grand. Parts are a little cheaper now because most people buy off the internet so, it would probably cost less now.

H/C/I depends on what you want to spend really. It wouldn't hurt to check a few racing engine builder shops that the owners do the work themselves to see what they have lying around that people want to get rid of from projects falling through. I always see stuff that I can't buy and wish I could when I go. You never know, you may get lucky.

If the guy I use got extremely high on me and I decided to do the internet thing, I would probably use that guy they mentioned. Or just have a mechanic I trust put the parts together.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:26 PM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

ok i just took a quick look at that site are you saying i should just buy a whole motor straight from there?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:14 AM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Ford Strokers has an excellent reputation, here and on other boards. I would not hesitate to buy from there.

Another good place is Performance Automotive Warehouse. They sell a large variety of engines and parts. The engines are sold as kits, so you get to do the assembly and save some money. I like doing that, because I have the tools and enjoy doing it.

The cost of crate motors in general has really dropped in the last few years. Heck, look what you can get directly from Ford. I can't think of a good reason for the average guy to rebuild his old windsor motor.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:42 AM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

yeah i agree while researching the whole stroker thing ive seen the ford strokers site come up a lot. unfortunatly i lack tools and knowledge to assemble a motor by myself so i either need to buy everything i need and bring it to a mechanic and have it assembled or just buy a motor ready to drop in.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:28 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Then buy from a reputable place with as much "completness" as you want/can afford. These days it's almost a no brainer.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:25 PM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by .boB
Then buy from a reputable place with as much "completness" as you want/can afford. These days it's almost a no brainer.
yeah thats what im aiming for. its going to be a winter project as of right now ive got about $2000. thats a good start. i would just like to get around 350rwhp. how much would a crate motor run in that range?

Quick Reply: stroker questions