5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

best headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:50 PM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

wow thats nuts i didnt know you had to pull the motor to install long tubes. so i guess ill be going with shortys. what would be the best to go with? ive heard hooker and kooks were about the best. im not looking to spend more than $250 because on top of that i have to get a stage 8 locking header bolts and a good gasket. if bbk is good for the price can you hook me up with a pair you know for sale. thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 06:06 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I was kinda the same way with the long tubes. I had a ceramic coated 1-3/4 set but, didn't really need them since i am not looking to go to the track more than once or so. My car makes enough power that it could need to be trailered back the way I would drive it. Plus they can be a pain to work around and install.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1224800
http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1224121
People do scam on this site so, you may feel safer going the ebay route
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BBK-F...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by TrimDrip; 05-19-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 PM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

those headers were for a fox, i have a sn95. are they interchangeable. if i get them new like i said in the original post i found mac, bbk, hedman and a few other brands on ebay for $220 each. what is the best brand for the money? is bbk worth the money? thanks for the all the help so far
Old 05-19-2010, 07:19 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

sorry bout that, I didn't even look.

These look to be ceramic coated. He has done drop the price 35 on these. He may even go less.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTA...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

continuing with what the OP said, will the BBK's be best for the money. They CLAIM that theyre good for 5-20 crank hp. lol i had MAC shorty's on my 89 notch that i sold
Old 05-19-2010, 07:27 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

people claim they help with a stock engine. How much, I don't know. A stock header is going to choke the engine down. As far as big power gains, the best results would come from a longtube if the car is making enough power. The more cubes, the more power longtubes will make.

I went through the same thing before I bought a set of longtubes. I just saw a shorty header as a shorty header. In the thread I made, everyone said they could tell a difference between stock and aftermarket shorty headers.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 PM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
sorry bout that, I didn't even look.

These look to be ceramic coated. He has done drop the price 35 on these. He may even go less.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTA...Q5fAccessories
they dont say if they are for a sn95? i kind of wonder if its even worth it. i want the headers to compliment the rest of my exhaust sound wise, and would like the little extra power but i would be having a shop do the install so it will probably be a little pricey. before i do that though im getting gears put in asap. ive havent gotten them yet because i cant decide between 4.10 and 3.73 lol ive been going back and forth for like a month.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:03 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

1) you get what you pay for.
2) shorty headers are for convience of installation only.
3) longtube headers will make more power on the same enginge than any short tube headers will.......
Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Originally Posted by lehrskee
they dont say if they are for a sn95? i kind of wonder if its even worth it. i want the headers to compliment the rest of my exhaust sound wise, and would like the little extra power but i would be having a shop do the install so it will probably be a little pricey. before i do that though im getting gears put in asap. ive havent gotten them yet because i cant decide between 4.10 and 3.73 lol ive been going back and forth for like a month.

they are, I asked. I almost bought them myself the other day since they were ceramic coated but, they were for a sn-95. Thing is though, you will always be able to find a set. I wouldn't spend a whole lot of cash for shorty header. If you buy used, you can always clean them up, paint them and get you money back if you decide to go longtube later as long as they are not cracked.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 05-19-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:41 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

yea think im just gunna pick up either BBK's, FRPP, or MAC shortys. regardless ill probably have the same outcome from either of the three which wont be much of anything. will i be able to tell the difference sound wise, between stock and aftermarket?

Quick Reply: best headers?