5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Exhaust issues!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:24 AM
drumpro80
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust issues!

Ok, I have a 94 gt. The motor in it, and pretty much EVERYTHING is tired with 210k on the car. I have a fresh short block to put in, but it's going to be a while before I'm going to be able to afford the new h/c/i and blower I plan on doing. That said, ALL of the exhaust is rusted on my car and sounds like a farm truck! lol. I'm doing that VERY soon, so, what headers should I buy? I'm asking with regards of the future build. (don't see a point in buying exhaust twice) but a lot of people have said with the set up I'm going to run, to run longtubes. If I buy lt's now, will it effect the motor I have at all? I mean, I will probably step up in diameter obviously (don't know what size of head to run so not sure what size exhaust would need to be as far as the header) so will that have an even worse effect on my dieing stocker? Oh, and is a X or H pipe better? I see the difference, but which is better flowing?

Basically, if I would see better performance with Longtubes in the end, I want to do those. But if shortys will yield the same performance or better I'll run those. Either way, headers, midpipe and flows are going on ASAP.

One more thing, (as if this isn't long enough...sorry) I plan on getting an off-road midpipe...what do I do about the O2 sensors? Do the aftermarket mid's have a place for them? Thanks for the input.

sorry it's a novel! lol
Old 05-19-2010, 03:48 AM
raftdaddy
2nd Gear Member

long tubes are better. they will yield more hp. the x and h are not that far apart. but on paper the x will flow better. the x has a more crisp sound and the h more throaty.and o/r mid pipes have o2 bungs welded in. i went equal shorties just cause i pieced my system together and was cheaper than doing t all at once. as for the x and h it is all about sound more than anything imo.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:24 PM
minnow81469
3rd Gear Member

get longtubes and they already have the o2 bungs in them might need the o2 wire extenders but they are like 15 bucks
Old 05-21-2010, 01:51 AM
drumpro80
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. Now when you say more hp with longtubes...how much more am I really going to look at? (once I'm done with the build I mean) i.e....TFS heads, cam, intake, and looks like a vortech S-trim. I'm just wondering because if it's not a TON of difference, I may pick up a set of shortys I found for cheap with an off road x. But, if it's a big difference, I'll just wait n pick up the long tubes. (I'm not thinking 50 hp difference or anything, but if it were only 5hp...is it really worth it!?)