5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1993 Mustang Gt Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Default 1993 Mustang Gt Question

Well my friend picked up a 1993 Mustang Gt about a month and a half ago. Well We Pulled the motor awhile back to fix the front crank seal (leaking.) While we were in there we replaced the oil pan gasket, rear main seal, and a couple other things. I also replaced the transmission mount with a prothane urethane mount i had laying around since his was shot. I also gave him a spec stage 2 clutch and billet flywheel, a new Maximum Motorsports clutch cable, and firewall adjuster. Well his stock clutch was in decent shape, but you had to completely let the clutch out before it would start moving. So I installed all of that in hopes of being able to adjust it. It is slightly better, but it is still way off to what I'm used to.

What could be causing this? I took it to a shop here and they said they couldn't adjust it anymore than i already had. So I have no clue as to why it would be like this. I had this exact set up in my car and I had absolutely no problems with it.

Next problem, I took it out for a spin with him today, and when i was driving it. When i shifted from 1st to 2nd gear it literally revved it to redline for like 5 seconds, while casual driving. I had no idea what was going on. He told me it has done it to him a couple times as well. Wtf would cause it to go to redline without my foot on the gas? It freaked me out...

These are problems i'm not fimiliar with. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:26 PM
blown03hd

As far as I know, you can always shorten the clutch cable to tighten it up. I would check the throttle body, it has to be getting stuck open on all the gunk in there. Carb cleaner the heck out of it, check it by hand to make sure it isn't sticking.

Saint
Old 09-29-2010, 08:05 PM
DJ19895.0
2nd Gear Member

Mine has reved on me twice. I accidentally hit the cruise control and it did not cancel the cruise when I hit the clutch for whatever reason.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Gee, there was at time of manufacture a tag on throttle body. Advised not to use chemical cleaners...special coating inside throttle body that will be removed by harsh chemicals. That being said get a old tooth brush some dish detergent and warm water(mixed) Now clean to your hearts content. Spray what you like inside iac.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

sounds like a sticking throttle body, make sure the throttle linkage isnt getting caught, and make sure the butterfly and TB is clean inside. like mentioned, cruds probably worked its way in there
Old 09-30-2010, 01:28 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

I checked the linkage, no binds there. I didn't really think of cleaning out the tb, I just found it very odd that it actually increased it to redline. I was shifting at ~2500-2700rpm and it would literally go up and peg at 6k for a good 5 seconds. I drove it again earlier and it did it again. No cruise control was used. I was driving in the city, second time scared me cause it did it while i was cruising at 40.

As for the cable, how would i go about shortening the cable? I mean i'll do whatever i need to so it works properly, cause it may have already fried my clutch.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Well i finally got everything figured out today when he finally stopped by my house again.

For the rev problem, i took off his throttle body and cleaned it up with soap and water and replaced his tps.

As for the clutch problem, well when he was here i started looking at buying an adjustable cable... then i got to thinking when i was in there replacing the clutch cable/firewall adjuster i told him he should look into buying a new quadrant since his was probably stock. But when i got under there i saw he already had an aluminum quadrant so i just figured it would work with my set up... i took his out and it looked massive compared to what i remembered. So i took mine off my car and sure enough, completely different sizes... put mine on and adjusted it, now it works like a dream.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help input on the throttle body problem.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:57 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

hey thats good you figured it out!

i was gonna say the cable could be stretched from being old.

and also dont buy an adjustable cable in the future they are a pain in the ***! cuz they adjust down at the clutch fork.. have fun with that. get the stock replacement cable and a firewall adjuster along with the proper aluminum quadrant.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Yeah i would never buy an adjustable cable for my car. I have the exact set up on my car... Well now he has my clutch quadrant.

The problem i couldn't figure out was the cable was to short... i had the firewall adjuster all the way in, and everything. Couldn't get it to start grabbing till the pedal was all the way out. Well then it started getting worse, as in it wouldn't even completely grab if you were driving and it was constantly slipping his clutch.

I was just thinking maybe his stock cable was shot, and possibly mine. thats what got me thinking maybe just maybe an adjustable cable would work, but then i figured it wouldn't be any longer than the others. So i pulled his quadrant out and it just looked massive, so i took mine off and compared them. His was about an inch and a half longer than mine was where the cable runs through.

Drove it again today just to be sure it was where it should be. Seems perfect to me.

Thanks again for all the help on the throttle problem though. !!!
Old 10-09-2010, 01:37 AM
STROKED_LX
1st Gear Member

Do you think your TPS sensor might be having a spike (open) causing the rpm's to shoot up?

Last edited by STROKED_LX; 10-09-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 1993 Mustang Gt Question