5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1987 AOD Trans rear seal R&R

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 PM
8v-of-fury

Default 1987 AOD Trans rear seal R&R

I have what is believed to be a 1987 4spd AOD transmission in my 67 cougar, I say believed to be as I didn't do the swap and the engine block is a confirmed '87.

Now the car sits in my garage and is sadly neglected.. but the other day I was in the garage messing around, and I happened to kneel down and grab something that had rolled under the car.. the tail shaft is leaking a huge puddle of tranny fluid.. GRrreat first the brakes dry up, and now the tranny is pissing fluid..

The Car Is Cursed I Tell You.

I have heard from a friend that the tail shaft seal is replaceable? how much are they and how hard of a job is this? I am a mechanically inclined person, so it shouldn't be too hard for me.. I've spent my last 5 years with 4cyl transverse engines.. no lovin' for this old girl

What can I do to get this thing going again?

thanks a bunch!

8v
Old 11-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Easy fix, mark relationship of driveshaft to pinion yolk. Remove driveshaft. Remove with seal puller,channel locks, large screwdriver (whatever tools you have that will work)the rear seal. Seal is fairly inexpensive, just tap the new one in place. Remember to lube contact area of seal, replace driveshaft.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:08 AM
SineMetu

I have found that a big socket/piece of exhaust pipe is a great "tool" to use to install the seal. The last thing you want to do is knock the new seal in by tapping it with a hammer. Trust me, I have damaged my fair share of new seals with a hammer. You want to make sure the socket/pipe fits on the outer edge of the seal. And a good flat head and a hammer will do the trick to get the old one out. Dont worry about punching through the old seal with the flat head, the only thing you can damage is the trans housing.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:27 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

it's NOT the seal... the seal is not much more than a dust cover. it is the bushing.

you need to pop the tailshaft and have a new bushing pressed in. it is the bushing that holds in the oil... try this and prove me wrong. grab the DS by the tailshaft and wiggle it. if the bushing is good it should not move at all. and if it moves like a 1/16" each direction.... i guarantee the bushing is in pieces.

you may be able to find a tailshaft with a good bushing in it at ur local pick-n-pull for roughly $10

any aod from -87-93 for sure will work.... possibly from '85-'93

newer than '93 is the wrong tailshaft though it's longer
Old 11-24-2010, 09:01 PM
8v-of-fury

ok I have the day off tomorrow, I will be for sure pulling this thing out of the garage to do some work! I will check DS play, and assess where my brake fluid has all disappeared to.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:51 PM
8v-of-fury

To bring this back nearly three years later..

Is this doable in the car? Or does the transmission need removing?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Seriously???, it took you 3yrs to pull your car out , you lied to us. Lol

Should be able to remove tailshaft section in car, 4 bolts I think, its been awhile since I've had an AOD.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:06 PM
8v-of-fury

Ty Ty.

I figured as much, just reassuring. Yeah it took me three years.. but damn shes a runner.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:27 AM
8v-of-fury

Ty Ty.

I figured as much, just reassuring. Yeah it took me three years.. but damn shes a runner.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:29 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

The bushing & seal are not hard to do at all. Rent a bearing race & seal driver tool from your local auto parts store and install will be a lot easier. I rented one from AutoZone to press a new bushing into my wifey’s 4R70W tranny (in AOD family). Was fairly simple/painless. Just take your time and make sure it slides in straight. I picked up the bushing and seal from a local tranny shop for $20 since my local auto parts stores didn’t have one that fit.

Good luck...

Quick Reply: 1987 AOD Trans rear seal R&R