5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

E-fan

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:37 PM
1987notchback
2nd Gear Member

Default E-fan

along with my hci etc i am also going to install a electric fan i pulled form a
v-6 contour. i am using an article out of muscle mustangs and fast fords. http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ade/index.html

thats the link, what gauge wire should i use also how much in length? also they refer to a t-tap connector? not sure exactly what that is. any info would be great. thanks mike
Old 12-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

The article said it draws 30A so I would go with 10ga, and I would just get a 30 foot roll or whatever, wire is cheap and its nice to have extra kicking around the garage for the next project.

This is what they are calling a t-tap:
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co.../photo_08.html
They are just saying that they tapped into the coolant sensor as opposed to key on source for power to the relay.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:40 PM
2tonterror
1st Gear Member

How are you going to wire it up? Are you using the factory Contour relays? Don't just run a fuse and switch off the battery. Buy a cheap relay kit from Summit or Jegs. That way you can set the thermostatic control to what temp you desire. You can also run a toggle switch so you can turn the fan on to cool the car when the engine is off.This works great at the track to cool the car off quickly between rounds. If you wire it yourself, use 10 gauge wire and solder all the connections/connectors. Don't trust those cheesy solderless connectors. Also use shrink tubing on all connections. Trust me, i have learned from experience.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:44 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Milton
The article said it draws 30A so I would go with 10ga, and I would just get a 30 foot roll or whatever, wire is cheap and its nice to have extra kicking around the garage for the next project.

This is what they are calling a t-tap:
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co.../photo_08.html
They are just saying that they tapped into the coolant sensor as opposed to key on source for power to the relay.
do not just buy a random roll of 10 gauge you need a few different wire sizes ranging from 8 to 14 get the correct size for each of the wires you need you will be kicking your self if the wire melts down and causes a fire. PM me i did this before the article came out with a much cleaner and more efficient setup
Old 12-31-2010, 05:53 PM
2tonterror
1st Gear Member

I istalled an electric fan in my LSC back around 1996. Can't even remember who made it. Pretty nice piece. It mounts inside my original shroud, and came with a complete thermostatic relay install kit. I was also able to run an on/off override switch. Even hotlapping at the track in the heat it only gets to about 170 degrees.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:46 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0kid
do not just buy a random roll of 10 gauge you need a few different wire sizes ranging from 8 to 14 get the correct size for each of the wires you need you will be kicking your self if the wire melts down and causes a fire. PM me i did this before the article came out with a much cleaner and more efficient setup
I didn't mean to grab a random roll of #10 wire, I was more so going by the 30A which as a general rule (although there are exceptions) is more than capable of 30A provided the wire is not used outside of its heat range.
Again with the location that the article shows for the box, within inches of the power sources, I wouldn't personally bother running several wire sizes and just use #10 instead of buying 2 feet of #14 if I didn't have the wire on hand.

OP, I would defiantly take 5.0kid up on his offer to show you how he wired up his system, I've followed his threads on his build and his wiring is top notch and he will set you straight and may save you a bit of money (down the road at least, as he said 100% off, 100% on isn't good for any electrical devices).
Old 12-31-2010, 11:49 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Milton
I didn't mean to grab a random roll of #10 wire, I was more so going by the 30A which as a general rule (although there are exceptions) is more than capable of 30A provided the wire is not used outside of its heat range.
Again with the location that the article shows for the box, within inches of the power sources, I wouldn't personally bother running several wire sizes and just use #10 instead of buying 2 feet of #14 if I didn't have the wire on hand.

OP, I would defiantly take 5.0kid up on his offer to show you how he wired up his system, I've followed his threads on his build and his wiring is top notch and he will set you straight and may save you a bit of money (down the road at least, as he said 100% off, 100% on isn't good for any electrical devices).
oh shoot sorry for the misunderstanding was getting ready to go to bed when i posted that had been a long night on my shift wasnt exactly reading intentively
Old 01-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Gator
2nd Gear Member

I installed a contour/cougar fan on my fox about a year ago.
I stripped all the stock wiring and pieces off the ele. fan, except the power and ground wires coming from the ele. motors, think they were green and black, and wired the fans together.
I used this exact relay for the fans and havent had a problem.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1388&ppt=C0331
I think the only other wire i used was to extend the power wire to the battery from the above relay, just matched to the same gauge.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:59 AM
1987notchback
2nd Gear Member

cool, thanks for the info guys. i just pmed 5.0 kid. thanks mike