5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Brake problem: Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Default Brake problem: Pictures

I was trying to rebuild my rear brakes and put in new cylinders and shoes. Upon reassembly I noticed the left brake shoe doesn't line up quite right wih the cylinder. It seems like the whole assembly needs to be twisted counter clockwise. It also seems like the E brake might be too tight and causing the bottom of the right shoe to pull inward which then causes the left shoe to push out and upward, right off the track with the wheel cylinder. You can see the brake shoe isn't resting on the center of the wheel cylinder. Instead it is resting on the top edge of the cylinder causing it to dig in around the rubber bellow. Any ideas what would be keep this from going on right?

I also tried spitting the wheel once I got it on. It still spins freely with a slight rub from the brake shoes. IF we pull the brake lever, nothing happens. The tire just keeps spinning.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:27 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

The shorter lined brake shoe is facing towards the front of the car so I'm certain that isn't causing the misalignment.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:23 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

I still can't figure this one out. I took the E brake cable off and the shoes still dont line up right. The shoe towards the front isn't sitting on the wheel cylinder right so when you press on the brake it doesn't push out on the shoe properly.

I double checked the shoes and they do match the old shoes as far as size, but I'm wondering if those could have been wrong also and MAYBE someone/previous owner swapped the rear end with another from some other car. That might explain why the shoes aren't squaring up.

Wouldn't make any sense to do that though when they could have just converted it to 5 lug.

This is getting frustrating for sure. I've changed several brake shoes in the past and never had them not square up once reassembled.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:35 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if you haven't torn apart the other side, compare it to the side you are doing, the springs should not be touching the wheel cylinder boot.........the half moon for the e-brake cable shouldn't be rotated as much iirc and make sure it is seated in the guide hole
Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Ok I found the problem. It was the E brake. The last time I took it off the cable was apparently still in the way somehow. I may not have tucked it out of the way.

Either way, I MUST have the e brake cable disconnected for the assembly to fit properly. If the cable is attached then it pulls on the assembly causing it not to line up right.

The only conclusion I can draw is that the brake cable is too tight. Normally they stretch, not get tighter. I can't see the cable under the car around the handle area but I'm wondering if someone either tightened the cable too much or tied a knot in the cable somewhere causing it to be shorter.

I guess I am going to take it into a shop and let them put it on a lift to check it out. I got both rear assemblies together and adjusted correctly so I only need them to check out the cable.