5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Water behind dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:46 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Default Water behind dash

I recently took my stang through one of those automatic car washes. Normally I wash the car myself but I was out and busy so I used one of those. Just as the car washer passed over the top of the car I saw water pouring out from under the dash while inside the car. It was really pouring out the passenger side from what looked like the fresh air vent.

I also saw some dripping from the driver side as well, but not quite as much.

Question is, how did all that water get inside the car?

I am assuming it must have gotten inside the vent area just above the hood, but what is in there that would allow that to happen? Is there some kind of seal in the dash area?
Old 06-11-2011, 12:06 AM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

its possible some got in the vent,but you also could have rust under the cowl area in the corners.leaves and dirt like to build up there
Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

could be the drains in the cowl area are stopped up with stuff and it came in the vent maybe leaking in a body seam could be coming in around the bottom of the windshield water leaks are a pain in the butt to find and fix some times
Old 06-13-2011, 08:52 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Well it turned out it was debris built up. I took the cover off and looked on the passenger side and looked like a birds nest in there right next to the vent.

I haven't gotten the chance to test it but I'm confident this was the problem. It was so packed with leaves and small pine twigs the water was flooding over into the vent.

I normally wash the car myself, meaning no large amount of water builds up real fast. This last time however I took it through the auto wash and the water built up faster than it could drain.

I have another question I will ask here instead of starting a new thread. I need to replace the door seals. It looks like someone put some cheap foam seals on and they've already been flattened out from the door and started leaking.

I was looking at some door seals from Latemodel Resto. Does anyone know if their seals are rubber or foam? I want to get some good rubber seals that don't wear out so fast.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:32 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

when I bought a set they were of a rubber type
Old 06-13-2011, 03:13 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

yes they are rubber.had mine on for 3 years now and still look new
Old 07-05-2011, 05:03 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

I might as well update here. After cleaning out the screen or opening inside the firewall I no longer have water pouring into the passenger floor board.

However, today we had a flash flood where lots of water was dropped in a short period of time. I didn't have a whole lot of water leaking into the car like before, but when I turned on the defroster and the fan kicked on I heard the fan kick up a little water and some started leaking through the fresh air vent. It wasn't a lot, but it was dripping.

How else would water get into this vent to be kicked around by the defrost Fan?

I can only assume it didn't get in through the firewall vent because it was cleaned out so it must have gotten in some other way. It only appears to be leaking through this, not anywhere else.

Since I replaced the door seals I no longer have water getting in there and leaking onto the floor and rotting it out. So I'll be replacing the floors here soon but I really need to figure out how to stop this water from leaking through the vent.