5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:29 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I also have went from a stick to a Auto years ago.

To the OP the C4 is a great trans but like said NO OD but if you dont hit the highway a lot and dont care about OD then go for it I run one and have a customer that run one in his with 4.10 gears he loves it. They take less HP to turn then any AOD. They are much lighter. Give more room to work around due to there size. they are also MUCH cheaper to build.
We run ours on the highway with no real issues and it dont rev. to bad but we run a 28in tall tire and a 331 rear gear so we dont really need a od.
Also unless you are making a good bit of HP the c4 will probably slow you down a bit. now if you are spraying it or boosted then you probably gone to see a pick up. Less time on and off the gas and it dont move the car around as bad and makes for a smoother run they also seem to hook better due to not hitting the tires as hard unless you run a trans break.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:43 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

AOD's came in mustangs....
Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

For those of you wanting an auto.....want to drive to Texas?

I wonder what it would cost to ship something like that?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:14 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

some of us want to buy a USEABLE trans... not someones used broken pos
Old 07-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Easy there, don't get your panties in a knot. I wouldn't ship the stuff anyway, would be easier to just order a kit and be done with it.

BTW, I love your signature.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

ive been wanting to go auto also.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Well the missed shifts are a big reason for my wanting to change. IF I hit every gear just right the car will accellerate quickly with the 410's. I still remember the first time it did. :P

But the majority of the time I find that I either miss a gear or just can't shift fast enough for the 410's. If I miss a gear, which I did not too long ago, it will red line in a heartbeat. It doesn't take much to rev these cars real high.

I find that when someone tries to race me to the next stop light I will end up changing gears several times in that short time and since we aren't going very far they tend to pull ahead at first. If we leave a light heading down a highway leaving town I will pull ahead at some point but the majority of the time their auto just plain shifts faster leaving the light. 1st to 2nd really kills me since 1st is so short. Launch in second really helps but I fear whats going to happen if I do that very much.

I hear the c4 is lighter weight than the aod and fairly inexpensive.

I've seen several for under a grand but I don't know which builders have good reputations. I did look at some by PA but they cost more than a grand. That isn't really a problem but if I can get a strongly built one for cheaper I'd rather put that money elsewhere.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

build one for yourself they are really not that bad to do. I have been doing them for years for people and my self.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

im possibly ordering an AODE with 4R70w internals, then swapping in a full manual vb with a trans brake... Should make things interesting!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:56 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
build one for yourself they are really not that bad to do. I have been doing them for years for people and my self.
I have to admit I like the idea of doing it myself. I hear horrible things about building automatics though. I would like to learn and would like the project

Quick Reply: Transmission question