5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:56 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Default Transmission question

I have been reading up on the T5 vs. C4 topic. I keep seeing the C4 automatic has more consistant ET's.

Does this mean faster ET's compared to the T5 or just relatively the same each pass? I also read the C4 is able to handle a good amount of torque compared to the T5 and doesn't require swapping the ECM.

I do like my T5 but lately I have been considering the automatic. I don't do any highway driving really. In fact I've seen the highway maybe once with this car in the last 6 months. I rarely get above 50 and that is above the speed limit down the highway through town :P

My town also seems to be growing rather rapidly and the traffic is getting worse. We have a lot of hills so I have to really work the clutch quite often.

As you can imagine the C4 is looking like a better option. I read the C4 is a little worse on fuel mileage but this isn't a concern of mine. In fact I think my fuel mileage with the stock 302, T5, and 410 gears has been amazingly efficient compared to what I expected. I drive it quite often and hardly ever have to get fuel.

Thoughts on the C4 swap and any critical information I might need to know?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:01 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

more consistent is exactly that.... more consistent. You eliminate the human error of shifting at different RPM's/late/early/missed gear.

If you want an auto, go with an AOD. Even better if you buy a AODE with 4R70W gears, and a manual shift kit.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:18 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Overdrive sure is nice.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

imo......its not even a question

you realize that a C4 is a 3 speed right ? 1:1 in 3rd so it's like driving your t5 in 4th all the time ???

aod's suck if u want a fulltime drag car go c4 or powerglide
Old 07-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

First person I know to want to go to an auto. I want to swap to a t5.......want to change?
Old 07-17-2011, 03:12 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangs4U
First person I know to want to go to an auto. I want to swap to a t5.......want to change?
I had a tko 600 with all the goodies and I went to an auto.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:30 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

I'm considering going auto myself...
Old 07-17-2011, 03:40 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
more consistent is exactly that.... more consistent. You eliminate the human error of shifting at different RPM's/late/early/missed gear.

If you want an auto, go with an AOD. Even better if you buy a AODE with 4R70W gears, and a manual shift kit.
Which transmission has the AOD and does it require a swap of the ECM? I didn't know if I would even need the AOD at all because the car never sees the highway. I have another vehicle I use for that. This car is strictly for fun.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:30 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by stdyhand
Which transmission has the AOD and does it require a swap of the ECM? I didn't know if I would even need the AOD at all because the car never sees the highway. I have another vehicle I use for that. This car is strictly for fun.
Which transmission has the AOD?... um... an AOD...

You do not need to swap your ECM to use the AOD trans. If you bought an AODE, then yes, you would need a computer swap (unless you went with a full manual valve body.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:15 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
Which transmission has the AOD?... um... an AOD...

You do not need to swap your ECM to use the AOD trans. If you bought an AODE, then yes, you would need a computer swap (unless you went with a full manual valve body.
Well what I was wondering was what would I search for to find the transmission. I had an explorer once that I found out was actually manufactured with 3 different automatic transmissions for the same vehicle. So I didn't know if the Fox mustang had a similar case. So I'm assuming any automatic transmission said to fit the 5.0 Mustang would fit. I'll search the AOD vs. C4. I guess the gearing and torque capabilities are what I'm curious about and which would perform better.

Quick Reply: Transmission question