5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

first time on the dyno..

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by 86gt5.0
So with a port and polish figure a total of 650$ I'll have heads that still suck for a street car.
FTFY! BTW, My used aluminum heads cost that much.

Originally Posted by 86gt5.0
I'm not trying to make much over 300rwhp, so you can stop telling me it's a waste of my time and money.
I will never stop telling you that you are wasting your money. Maybe you should stop posting, asking how you can make more power, if you don't really want to make more power! You want to make closer to 300HP the easy way? Change out that piece of **** cam, run a full 2.5" exhaust that isnt Flowmasters (since they are restrictive and suck up HP), and get your car tuned. If I can make 276rwhp on a stock engine, you should be able to get close to 300 with better components than my car had.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:52 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

This is why I don't mess with somebody's pie and try to eat it too!
The op has mind made up and that's that and there is nomore to be said
Old 08-03-2011, 04:08 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
well the exploder is barley any better than stock, but the Cobra deff is
ACTUALLY, if I remember right (I'm the one who recently posted the comparison), the exploder flowed slightly more on average than the Cobra intake did. That being said the cobra even has bigger ports on the lower. The exploder intake was built for torque and the Cobra is geared toward hp numbers. Either way you will NOT notice a difference between the 2 BUT you WILL notice over stock.

Adder's 270 something HP numbers was on his stock motor but also don't let him fool you, thats with GT40's not E7's and with a good dyno tune. Get ahold of tmoss about the intake porting..... IDK if you know or realize it but you do need certain headers to run the P heads. I wouldn't spend the money porting them though. It can be spent elsewhere and have better gains such as your brakes or suspension. My GT40's are ported only because I did it myself. I am on probably one of the tightest budgets on here when I built my car. lol

If you are on a tight budget then do what you have to do. I personally know how it can be hard to save a little here and there to make a big purchase. Its just easier to put a little money here and a little there until you get to the end.

The timing thing is going to be different for everyone's car so don't just go out and set yours to 16 or something crazy. If you can't have it on a dyno doing so or don't k now how to listen to what your motor is telling you leave your timing at 12*.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Also, I would stop trying to chase a HP number. it is just that, a number. Every dyno is going to show you different results. Like I said above save the money on P&P and put it into your brakes or suspension. There is no reason to have the power if you can't put it to the ground or stop it. If you don't know exactly what purpose you are building the car for then stop and make a plan. It sucks buying the same parts over just because you changed your mind.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 PM
86gt5.0

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
FTFY! BTW, My used aluminum heads cost that much.

I will never stop telling you that you are wasting your money. Maybe you should stop posting, asking how you can make more power, if you don't really want to make more power! You want to make closer to 300HP the easy way? Change out that piece of **** cam, run a full 2.5" exhaust that isnt Flowmasters (since they are restrictive and suck up HP), and get your car tuned. If I can make 276rwhp on a stock engine, you should be able to get close to 300 with better components than my car had.
What's your problem? Like honestly is there something wrong with you? I stated originally that I was either doing a p&p or a small blower, but no, you have to come in here and pretend you know better than everyone and tell me I'm wasting my own money and time blah blah blah. You don't answer questions, you try to get everyone to do it your way because obviously your way has to be the best...

And I call complete and utter BS on you getting 276rwhp on a stock motor. Even if it was on a dyno jet, there is no way in hell.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:29 PM
86gt5.0

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Also, I would stop trying to chase a HP number. it is just that, a number. Every dyno is going to show you different results. Like I said above save the money on P&P and put it into your brakes or suspension. There is no reason to have the power if you can't put it to the ground or stop it. If you don't know exactly what purpose you are building the car for then stop and make a plan. It sucks buying the same parts over just because you changed your mind.
I am most likely going to end up doing suspension/brakes first before I do any power modifications, the stock brakes are horrendous so I'm going to try and piece together a 5 lug conversion soon.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:38 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Lincoln rotors/spindles and calipers I think early 90's for front and a t-bird 8.8 has disc brakes but forgot what rear gear 3.73 is for some reason stuck in my head but that might be for the turbo coupe only
Old 08-03-2011, 04:41 PM
86gt5.0

Originally Posted by grabbem88
Lincoln rotors/spindles and calipers I think early 90's for front and a t-bird 8.8 has disc brakes but forgot what rear gear 3.73 is for some reason stuck in my head but that might be for the turbo coupe only
I assume the tbird rear end would bolt right in? If so this seems like the way to go.. I think I'm going to sell the cats off my stock h pipe to pay for the upgraded brakes. I heard cats can sell from anywhere between 60-120$, does anyone know if this is true?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Yes people are going crazy for the platinum inside the cats lol
About the t-bird it's either dead on or the perches are a hair on the wide side but simple to fix
I'm getting ready to put a 8.8 in my z28 once I figure out the torque arms but that's a different story lol
Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Before you determine how you want to do the front 5 lug figure out which wheels you want to run.

Quick Reply: first time on the dyno..