5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Fuel leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Default Fuel leak?

I was under my hood hooking up my EGR today and noticed this was also disconnected. First of all, what is it? Second, it looked to me like there were fumes coming from the open hole and it sure smelled like fuel. I am pretty sure the smell was coming from this area. Where does this need to go? Do I need to connect a hose somewhere or can I just leave it. It would seem to me that if it is fumes coming from this, it would be a fire hazard. I hope I am wrong but just want to make sure. Am I close to a fire?

Background, I had a rebuilt engine put in and the installer removed the smog system, not sure what all that entails. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Mustangs4U; 08-23-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

That beautiful part there is the charcoal canister. Pretty much it has a tube that runs from the gas tank to that can, so the tank can vent.

The gas fumes are recycled back into the engine. This is definitely the source of that smell. The hose you are missing runs from that open nipple you see up to the intake plenum and mounts to the front.

I wouldnt recommend plugging that hole, but im sure people have done it. There is a sensor and your CEL will turn on and throw a code. Even the hardcores on here running strip cars keep the canister in there because it does its job and weighs nothing.

- Bobert
Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Awesome, thank you for the info. I do not plan on plugging it, in fact am trying to fix the stuff that the dude removed. I will go ahead and get a hose and hook it up. Now to figure out where it goes. You said it goes in front of the intake plenum? I need to check and see if I can find out where it needs to go.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Hey Bobert,
I see you too have a 1990 LX. I have another quick question, he also removed the smog pump, what does that do exactly and would it help fuel mileage to put it back? I'd rather have fuel mileage than a few horses to be honest. I am getting around 16 mpg it seems and am willing to do what it takes to get it better.

Thanks again for the help Bobert.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangs4U
Awesome, thank you for the info. I do not plan on plugging it, in fact am trying to fix the stuff that the dude removed. I will go ahead and get a hose and hook it up. Now to figure out where it goes.
The 'stock' location runs from that can, up behind the smog pump ( where it was ), into wire sheath, and up under the from of your upper intake plenum. On mine it ran with the wire that is hooked to the canisters sensor.

I disconnected mine and just plugged it into where the t/b's engine vent use to be, but the charcoal canister may need to run off of intake vaccum. If someone could answer that would be great. Does the hose need to be hooked up to vacuum?

Now to figure out where it goes. You said it goes in front of the intake plenum? I need to check and see if I can find out where it needs to go.
Intake vacuum is intake vaccum. Front or back of plenum would be fine. Wouldnt recomend the tb vent just yet because it may be the source of my issues in my other post haha!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Hey Bobert,
I see you too have a 1990 LX. I have another quick question, he also removed the smog pump, what does that do exactly and would it help fuel mileage to put it back? I'd rather have fuel mileage than a few horses to be honest. I am getting around 16 mpg it seems and am willing to do what it takes to get it better.

Thanks again for the help Bobert.
Umm well, the whole purpose of that set up is to reduce your NOx CO and SOx you put into our lovely mother earth. But what it comes down to is leave the worrying to the Prius owners, and let our stangs sound good (y).

Putting that pump back in and all the hoses wont automaticly boost your millage. As a few people will respond "dont buy a mustang for fuel millage" and even more people will say 16 mpg is pretty freaking good.

What will help a bit, is keeping the egr set up, and that doesnt require the pump.

Also, if he took all that off, what do you have for exhaust? I hope it doesnt have catalytic converters.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bobert

What will help a bit, is keeping the egr set up, and that doesnt require the pump.

Also, if he took all that off, what do you have for exhaust? I hope it doesnt have catalytic converters.
Ok, that sounds good. I will stick with the EGR and figure out the canister for now. As for the exhaust, I am running a O/R H pipe into a set of 40 series Flowmasters. I love the sound and don't want to remove that . I'm game with leaving the worring to the Prius owners, LOL.

I dont' mind the mileage but wanted to make sure I wasn't killing it due to something that just wasn't hooked up. If 16 is the best I can do, then I will enjoy it.

Thanks again.